1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding displacement of the string given a function

1. Jan 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The shape of the wave on the string at t=0 is:
    y=(2x)/(x^2+50)
    The waveform is moving in the +x direction at a propagating speed of 10cm/s. Find the displacement of the string in cm when t=5s and x=30cm

2. Relevant equations
    ∂^(2)y/∂x^(2)=(1/v^2)*∂^(2)y/∂t^(2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm completely lost as to how to solve this, I wanted to try and integrate the function to undo the partial derivative but the function they gave was for when t=0 so all the t variables will disappear and I won't be integrating the right function.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suspect you are over-thinking things.
    Start by writing down y(x,t). You are given enough information to do that directly.

(Actually - you start by drawing a sketch of y(x,t=0)... that can help.)

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    Okay I managed to get the answer by plugging in x=-20cm into the y=2x/(x^2+50) since the wave is travelling at 10cm/s in 5 seconds x=-20cm will be the spot at 30cm. I never did figure out how to write it down as y(x,t) though, am I supposed to use the general formula y(x,t)=h(x+-vt)?

5. Feb 1, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

6. Feb 2, 2015 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's correct.
    Given y(x, t=0)=f(x) then the same shape travelling in the +x direction with speed v is given by: $$y(x,t)= f ( x-vt)$$ ... a negative speed would, therefore, indicate travel in the -x direction.

Eg. If ##y( x,0)=A\sin kx##, then $$y ( x, t)=A\sin k ( x-vt) $$

This is mathematically identical to what you did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted