What units for the wave function of a string?

The function Ψ(x,t) describes the displacement of a wave in terms of position and time. The unit of φ(x) is length and the unit of sin(ωt+α) is dimensionless.
Zouatine
Homework Statement
unit of wave function
Relevant Equations
Ψ(x,t)=φ(x)*sin(ωt+α)
hello , hope all of you are doing well ,

i have question about the unit of the function of waves of string fixed in both boundary , the function of waves is function of two variables x and t , so it's function describe the displacement in function of place and time ,
Ψ(x,t)=φ(x)*sin(ωt+α)
φ(x): is the shape function
ω= 2πν : the angular frequency ν: is the frequency, Hz
α : initial phase

I'm confusing about the unit of this function , i think the unit must be unit of length ( cm , mm ... ) because from the definition we said it's function describe the displacement , and second think is : sin(ωt+α) doesn't have unit and φ(x) must be unit of length . am i right ?

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: yes.

1. What is the unit of measurement for the wave function of a string?

The unit of measurement for the wave function of a string is typically meters (m) or centimeters (cm), as it represents the displacement of the string from its equilibrium position.

2. Can the wave function of a string be measured in other units?

Yes, the wave function of a string can also be measured in other units such as millimeters (mm) or inches (in), depending on the scale of the string and the precision of the measurement.

3. How is the wave function of a string related to frequency?

The wave function of a string is directly proportional to the frequency of the wave traveling through the string. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude of the wave function also increases.

4. Is the unit of the wave function of a string the same as the unit for wavelength?

No, the unit for wavelength is typically meters (m) or centimeters (cm), while the unit for the wave function of a string is also meters (m) or centimeters (cm) but represents a different physical quantity.

5. Can the unit of the wave function of a string change?

Yes, the unit of the wave function of a string can change depending on the scale of the string and the precision of the measurement. It is important to use consistent units when working with the wave function of a string to avoid confusion and errors.