Finding Displacements for forced oscillations

In summary, the problem involves a particle of mass m at rest at the end of a spring (force constant k) hanging from a fixed support. A constant downward force F is applied at t = 0 for a time t_0. After the force is removed, the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position (x = x_0, where x is down) can be expressed as x - x_0 = \frac{F}{k}[cos \omega_0(t-t_0) - cos \omega_0 t], where \omega_0^2 = \frac{k}{m}. The solution involves splitting the problem into two parts, one before the force is removed and one after. It is important to
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

A particle of mass [tex] m [/tex] is at rest at the end of a spring (force constant [tex] = k[/tex]) hanging from a fixed support. At [tex] t = 0 [/tex], a constant downward force [tex] F [/tex] is applied to the mass and acts for a time [tex] t_0 [/tex]. Show that, after the force is removed, the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position ([tex] x = x_0 [/tex], where [tex] x [/tex] is down) is
[tex] x - x_0 = \frac{F}{k}[cos \omega_0(t-t_0) - cos \omega_0 t] [/tex]​
where [tex] \omega_0^2 = \frac{k}{m} [/tex].

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd law [tex] F = ma [/tex] and knowing how to solve second order linear ODEs.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I have no idea if what I'm doing is right, but I've been working on this (trying different things) for about 6 hours now.. It's painful. So, any assistance would be appreciated.

First, I split this thing into two parts.. one after the force is removed and one while the force is applied.

After force is removed: ([tex] t \geq t_0 [/tex] and [tex] t = 0 [/tex])
[tex] mg - kx = m \ddot{x} [/tex]
[tex] \ddot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = g [/tex]
We know [tex] x(t) = Acos(\omega_0 t - \phi ) + \frac{g}{\omega_0^2} [/tex].
We also know that at [tex] t = 0, x = x_0, [/tex] so:
[tex] x_0 = Acos\phi + \frac{g}{\omega_0^2} [/tex]
Now, the displacement from the equilibrium is:
[tex] x - x_0 = Acos(\omega_0 t - \phi ) - Acos\phi [/tex]
Simplifying, [tex] x - x_0 = A[cos(\omega_0 t - \phi ) - cos\phi] [/tex]

While the force is applied: ([tex] 0 < t \leq t_0 [/tex])
[tex] F + mg - kx = m \ddot{x} [/tex]
[tex] \ddot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = \frac{F + mg}{m} [/tex]
So, [tex] x_2 (t) = Acos(\omega_0 t - \phi) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]

Now, at [tex] t = t_0 [/tex], we know [tex] x = x_2 [/tex], so,
[tex] Acos(\omega_0 t_0 - \phi ) + \frac{g}{w_0^2} = Acos(\omega_0 t_0 - \phi) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]
But this gives me [tex] F = 0 [/tex] which is of course true, because [tex] t = t_0 [/tex] is the time when the force is removed. I just do not know where to go and if this is helpful at all. Eventually, i want to have [tex] A = \mbox{something} [/tex] so that i can plug that into my equation for displacement from the equilibrium [tex] x - x_0 [/tex] above.

What am I doing wrong? What should I do? Where should I go?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the force is applied at t=0, for a time [itex]t_0[/itex], doesn't that mean

[tex]F+mg-kx=m\ddot{x}, \;\;\;\;\; 0\leq t\leq t_0[/tex]

[tex]mg-kx=m\ddot{x}, \;\;\;\;\; t> t_0[/tex] so that your equilibrium position is actually [itex]x_0=A\cos(\phi) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2}[/itex]?

okay, so, using your advice.. I have, as you said..

[tex] x_0 = A\cos(\phi) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]

Therefore, our displacement from equilibrium is:

[tex] x - x_0 = A[cos(\omega_0 t - \phi) - cos\phi] - \frac{F}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]

Still though, when we have time [tex] t = t_0 [/tex], [tex] x = x_2 [/tex]. This still cancels the [tex] Acos(\omega_0 t_0 - \phi) [/tex] from both sides and leaves [tex] F = 0 [/tex]. Again, I don't know where to go from here to clean up the expression for [tex] x - x_0 [/tex].

I think you are confusing yourself by using the same variables to represent the amplitude and phase of the oscillation during both intervals...

During the interval [itex]0\leq t\leq t_0[/itex] you have:

[tex]x (t) = A_1\cos(\omega_0 t - \phi_1) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]

and during the interval [itex]t\geq t_0[/itex], you have:

[tex]x (t) = A_2\cos(\omega_0 t - \phi_2) + \frac{g}{\omega_0^2} [/tex]

Use the fact that [itex]x(0)=x_0[/itex] and [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]x('t)[/itex] must be continuous at [itex]t_0[/itex]...

1. What are forced oscillations?

Forced oscillations refer to the motion of a system that is being driven by an external force. This force can be periodic (such as a force applied to a pendulum) or non-periodic (such as a force applied to a car's suspension). In both cases, the external force causes the system to oscillate around its equilibrium position.

2. How do you find the displacements for forced oscillations?

The displacements for forced oscillations can be calculated by using the equation d(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where d(t) is the displacement at time t, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. The values of A, ω, and φ can be determined by analyzing the external force and the properties of the system, such as its mass, spring constant, and damping coefficient.

3. What is the difference between forced and natural oscillations?

Natural oscillations, also known as free oscillations, occur when a system is left to oscillate on its own without any external force. The frequency and amplitude of natural oscillations are determined by the system's properties, such as its mass and stiffness. On the other hand, forced oscillations occur when an external force is applied to the system, and the resulting motion is influenced by both the external force and the system's properties.

4. How does damping affect forced oscillations?

Damping, which is the dissipation of energy in a system, can significantly affect forced oscillations. In systems with high damping, the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time, and the system eventually reaches a steady-state oscillation. In contrast, in systems with low damping, the amplitude may continue to increase over time, resulting in large oscillations that can cause damage to the system.

5. What are some real-life examples of forced oscillations?

Forced oscillations can be observed in many real-life systems, such as a pendulum being pushed by a person, a guitar string being plucked, and a car's suspension system responding to bumps in the road. Other examples include the oscillations of a diving board when someone jumps on it, the vibrations of a bridge caused by wind or traffic, and the oscillations of a building during an earthquake.