1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Displacements for forced oscillations

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass [tex] m [/tex] is at rest at the end of a spring (force constant [tex] = k[/tex]) hanging from a fixed support. At [tex] t = 0 [/tex], a constant downward force [tex] F [/tex] is applied to the mass and acts for a time [tex] t_0 [/tex]. Show that, after the force is removed, the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position ([tex] x = x_0 [/tex], where [tex] x [/tex] is down) is
    [tex] x - x_0 = \frac{F}{k}[cos \omega_0(t-t_0) - cos \omega_0 t] [/tex]​
    where [tex] \omega_0^2 = \frac{k}{m} [/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's 2nd law [tex] F = ma [/tex] and knowing how to solve second order linear ODEs.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so I have no idea if what i'm doing is right, but i've been working on this (trying different things) for about 6 hours now.. It's painful. So, any assistance would be appreciated.

First, I split this thing into two parts.. one after the force is removed and one while the force is applied.

After force is removed: ([tex] t \geq t_0 [/tex] and [tex] t = 0 [/tex])
    [tex] mg - kx = m \ddot{x} [/tex]
    [tex] \ddot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = g [/tex]
    We know [tex] x(t) = Acos(\omega_0 t - \phi ) + \frac{g}{\omega_0^2} [/tex].
    We also know that at [tex] t = 0, x = x_0, [/tex] so:
    [tex] x_0 = Acos\phi + \frac{g}{\omega_0^2} [/tex]
    Now, the displacement from the equilibrium is:
    [tex] x - x_0 = Acos(\omega_0 t - \phi ) - Acos\phi [/tex]
    Simplifying, [tex] x - x_0 = A[cos(\omega_0 t - \phi ) - cos\phi] [/tex]

While the force is applied: ([tex] 0 < t \leq t_0 [/tex])
    [tex] F + mg - kx = m \ddot{x} [/tex]
    [tex] \ddot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = \frac{F + mg}{m} [/tex]
    So, [tex] x_2 (t) = Acos(\omega_0 t - \phi) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]

Now, at [tex] t = t_0 [/tex], we know [tex] x = x_2 [/tex], so,
    [tex] Acos(\omega_0 t_0 - \phi ) + \frac{g}{w_0^2} = Acos(\omega_0 t_0 - \phi) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]
    But this gives me [tex] F = 0 [/tex] which is of course true, because [tex] t = t_0 [/tex] is the time when the force is removed. I just do not know where to go and if this is helpful at all. Eventually, i want to have [tex] A = \mbox{something} [/tex] so that i can plug that into my equation for displacement from the equilibrium [tex] x - x_0 [/tex] above.

What am I doing wrong? What should I do? Where should I go?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the force is applied at t=0, for a time [itex]t_0[/itex], doesn't that mean

[tex]F+mg-kx=m\ddot{x}, \;\;\;\;\; 0\leq t\leq t_0[/tex]

[tex]mg-kx=m\ddot{x}, \;\;\;\;\; t> t_0[/tex]

so that your equilibrium position is actually [itex]x_0=A\cos(\phi) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2}[/itex]?

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3
    okay, so, using your advice.. I have, as you said..

[tex] x_0 = A\cos(\phi) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]

Therefore, our displacement from equilibrium is:

[tex] x - x_0 = A[cos(\omega_0 t - \phi) - cos\phi] - \frac{F}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]

Still though, when we have time [tex] t = t_0 [/tex], [tex] x = x_2 [/tex]. This still cancels the [tex] Acos(\omega_0 t_0 - \phi) [/tex] from both sides and leaves [tex] F = 0 [/tex]. Again, I don't know where to go from here to clean up the expression for [tex] x - x_0 [/tex].

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you are confusing yourself by using the same variables to represent the amplitude and phase of the oscillation during both intervals...

During the interval [itex]0\leq t\leq t_0[/itex] you have:

[tex]x (t) = A_1\cos(\omega_0 t - \phi_1) + \frac{F+mg}{m\omega_0^2} [/tex]

and during the interval [itex]t\geq t_0[/itex], you have:

[tex]x (t) = A_2\cos(\omega_0 t - \phi_2) + \frac{g}{\omega_0^2} [/tex]

Use the fact that [itex]x(0)=x_0[/itex] and [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]x('t)[/itex] must be continuous at [itex]t_0[/itex]....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook