1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distance between two points A, B moving in a plane

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    A and B are two objects in a plane. Initially they were at a distance d apart. B moves rectilinearly and perpendicular to the line AB initially with speed v and A moves with speed v so that it is continually aimed towards B. After some time, both of them are moving aimed in the same direction and would be a fixed distance apart. Find the fixed distance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2
    I assume that their speed |velocity| is same
    First consider first particle A is at 0i+0j and second particle B is at di+0j here i and j represent unit vectors along x and y direction. now B start moving with velocity Vb=0i+vj it's location at time t is Rb=(0i+vj)t+di. Now come to first particle A. let it's velocity at any time is vx i+vy j. since velocity of both A and B is same so (vx2+vy2))1/2=v. one more constraint is it's direction is always along the location of B that is (0i+vj)t+di now using all the constraint i mentioned you can do this question.
    Hope now you will complete it.

4. Jun 27, 2011 #3
    I was thinking much the same, but I would solve it in B's frame of reference. That mean treating B as at rest and A with initial leftward velocity of v and initial downward velocity (assuming B was moving upwards) of -v.

5. Jul 11, 2011 #4
    How should I use the constraint that A is headed towards B at any instant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook