Finding distance traveled with only time

In summary, the problem asks for the total distance traveled by a tennis ball that is shot vertically upwards from the ground and takes 3.2 seconds to return to the ground. The solution involves using the final velocity of 0 m/s at the top of the arc and does not require knowing the initial velocity.
rasen58
A tennis ball is shot vertically upwards from the ground. It takes 3.2 seconds for it to return to the ground. Find the total distance the ball traveled.

I don't know how to do this problem because they only give us time, and I can make the final velocity 0 m/s if I make it the top of the arc, but without knowing the initial velocity, is there a way to do this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I was being really stupid for a second, but I figured it out.
Is there a way to delete this?

rasen58 said:
...I can make the final velocity 0 m/s if I make it the top of the arc, but without knowing the initial velocity, is there a way to do this problem?

Sounds good. Go with that!

What is the equation for finding distance traveled with only time?

The equation for finding distance traveled with only time is distance = speed x time.

How do you find the speed if the distance and time are known?

To find the speed, divide the distance by the time. The resulting value will be the speed in units of distance per time (e.g. miles per hour, meters per second).

Can this equation be used for any type of motion?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of motion as long as the speed remains constant over time.

What if the speed is not constant?

If the speed is not constant, then the distance traveled cannot be accurately determined with only the time. Other factors, such as the acceleration, would need to be taken into account.

Are there any limitations to using this equation?

Yes, this equation assumes that the speed is constant and that there are no other external forces acting on the object. In real-world scenarios, there may be other factors that affect the distance traveled.