1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding E field inside a sphere with charge proportional to radius

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    First time poster here! EDIT: SOLVED!!

Thanks, I figured out from the related links at the bottom of the page. >_>b

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the electric field inside a sphere which carries a charge density proportional
    to the distance from the origin, [tex]\rho[/tex] = kr, for some constant k.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\oint E.da[/tex]
    [tex]a = 4 \pi r^2/3[/tex]
    [tex]da = 4 \pi r^2[/tex]
    [tex]\rho = kr[/tex]
    [tex]E = q/(r^2 4 \pi \epsilon _0)[/tex]
    Where q = charge inside

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\oint E \bullet da = \int q/(r^2 4 \pi \epsilon _0) \bullet 4 \pi r^2[/tex]

The 4 pi r^2 terms cancel, leaving on the right

[tex]q/ \epsilon_0[/tex]

Substitute rho into the eqn. as to integrate all dimensions of the sphere

[tex] \int \rho d \tau / \epsilon_0[/tex]

Here's where I get stuck, I know that

[tex] \rho = kr [/tex]

What do I do with [tex]d \tau[/tex]? I'd imagine that it'd be easiest to do in spherical coordinates, so do I just add dr, dtheta, drho?

Also... How do I put a dot into this LaTex thing?

Thank you!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

You do not know the electric field, but you can calculate it by applying Gauss' law.

Because of symmetry, E depends only on r and is the same along a sphere of radius R. The surface integral for a sphere of radius R is equal to Q/epszilon, where Q is the charge confined inside the sphere

[tex]4 \pi R^2 E(R) = \frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon}\int_0^R{kr*r^2dr=\frac{4\pi}{\epsilon}k R^4/4 \rightarrow E(R)=\frac{kR^2}{4\epsilon}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook