1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Eigenvalues and C1 & C2

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (attached)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know where to start. There is nothing given for me to start with. And the instruction says "Choose" so am I really suppose to really choose or do you guys any idea how to start this?

*I know that eigenvalues have to negative

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect that the reason for the word "choose" is that there are an infinite number of solutions. For example, a "trivial" solution is [itex]C_1= C_2= 0[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_1[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_2[/itex] can be anything. If [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are not both 0, then it is a little more interesting. What can you say about the limit of [itex]e^{\lambda t}[/itex] as t goes to 0? Look at [itex]\lambda> 0[/itex] and [itex]\lambda< 0[/itex].

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    all i can say is that lambda has to be negative for it to go 0 right?

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    so i can pick any negative integer number for lambda and any integer for C1 and C2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook