1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding eigenvectors of a simple 2x2 matrix

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The matrix is:
    |1 2|
    |3 4|

3. The attempt at a solution

I've worked out the eigenvalues to be [tex]\stackrel{\underline{5\pm\sqrt{33}}}{2}[/tex]

But when I plug the first eigenvalue back in I get:

|1 - [tex]\stackrel{\underline{5+\sqrt{33}}}{2}[/tex]........................2 |
    |3........................4 - [tex]\stackrel{\underline{5+\sqrt{33}}}{2}[/tex] |

Multiplied by (x,y) = (0,0)

[Sorry I couldn't fit that on the same line as the matrix.]

Which in turn gives two equations:

x*(1-[tex]\stackrel{\underline{5+\sqrt{33}}}{2}[/tex]) + 2y = 0

and

3x + y*(4-[tex]\stackrel{\underline{5+\sqrt{33}}}{2}[/tex]) = 0

Which I can't work out how to solve for the eigenvector.

Is the only solution x=y=0?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You solve them like you solve any two linear equations. Remember if (x,y) is an eigenvector then a*(x,y) is also an eigenvector. So you are going to have an undetermined parameter which you may as well may make x. Put say, x=1 and solve for y. You should get the same value of y from both equations, since one equation is really a multiple of the other.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

Thats exactly what I've been trying to do but X and/or Y always end up canceling and I just get some useless number.

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you trying to eliminate a variable from the two equations and solve for the other? That won't work. If you eliminate x then the resulting equation is 0*y=0. Is that your problem? Like I said before, that's happening because the two equations are really the same. They have an infinite number of solutions. Put x equal to any constant (like x=1) and then solve for y.

6. Dec 2, 2009 #5
    AH!

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook