Finding Electric Field for Three Point Charges

In summary, the conversation is about finding the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point and the total electric potential due to multiple charges. The equations used were E=KeQ/r^2 for electric field and V=KeQ/r for electric potential. The attempt at a solution involved finding the individual electric fields for each charge at the given point and adding them as vectors to find the total electric field. The question at the end was about how to find the total electric potential.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

The questions are based off of the diagram I attached.
First, I had to find the strength of the electric field due to each charge at (0 cm, 8 cm).
Now I need to find the total electric field (both magnitude and direction) at (0 cm, 8 cm) and the total electric potential due to these three charges at the origin (0 cm, 0 cm) and (0 cm, 8 cm).

Homework Equations

E=[itex]\frac{KeQ}{r^2}[/itex]
V=[itex]\frac{KeQ}{r}[/itex]
Ue=qVTOT

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the electric fields to be:
E1= 2742295.52
E2= 2742295.52
E3= 8.33333.33

Now how do I go from here to the total electric field and then total electric potential?

Attachments

• Photo 240.jpg
    Photo 240.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the electric field is a vector quantity. Find the direction of the field vectors due to each charge at point (0,8) and add them as vectors.

ehild

1. How do I calculate the electric field for three point charges?

To calculate the electric field for three point charges, you will need to use the principle of superposition. First, calculate the electric field for each individual charge using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge. Then, add the individual electric fields together using vector addition to find the total electric field at a specific point.

2. What is the direction of the electric field for three point charges?

The direction of the electric field for three point charges can be determined by using the principle of superposition. The direction of the individual electric fields will depend on the direction of the point charges. Then, use vector addition to find the overall direction of the electric field at a specific point.

3. Can the electric field for three point charges be negative?

Yes, the electric field for three point charges can be negative. This occurs when the charges have opposite signs and create an attractive force. The negative electric field indicates the direction of the force on a positive test charge placed at that point.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. This can also be written as Volts per meter (V/m). Both units represent the strength of the electric field at a specific point.

5. How does the distance between point charges affect the electric field?

The electric field between point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.