Finding Electric Field from an insulating sphere

In summary, an insulating sphere with a uniform charge density of (6.74E-6) C/m^3 throughout its volume has a radius of (3.3E-2) m. The magnitude of the electric field at a point (5.7E-2) m from the center of the sphere can be found using a relevant fact about the electric field of a uniformly charged sphere. The magnitude of the electric field at the surface of the sphere can also be found using a useful tool for finding the electric field of symmetric charge distributions. It is recommended to skim over the text and understand the underlying concepts to know when to apply different methods for finding electric fields.
DrKARMA
An insulating sphere with a radius of (3.3E-2) m has a uniform charge density of (6.74E-6) C/m^3 throughout its volume.

(1)Find the magnitude of the electric field at a point (5.7E-2) m from the center of the sphere.

(2) Find the magnitude of the electric field at the surface of the sphere

(3) find the magnitude of the electric field at a point (2E-2) m from the center of the sphere.

Thanks!

Relevant Equations:
Volume of sphere:4/3(pi)r^3
(D) Charge Density=Charge/volume

[Attempt]
I tried to find Q (charge) using D=Q/(4/3(pi)r^3)

Now I am Lost. There are many Electrical Field Equations. I tried plugging into EA=Q/ε but it did not work. I also tried E=q/((4/3(pi)r^2)r^3)

Please help me solve this. Can I see a step by step guide?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
DrKARMA said:
An insulating sphere with a radius of (3.3E-2) m has a uniform charge density of (6.74E-6) C/m^3 throughout its volume.

(1)Find the magnitude of the electric field at a point (5.7E-2) m from the center of the sphere.

(2) Find the magnitude of the electric field at the surface of the sphere

(3) find the magnitude of the electric field at a point (2E-2) m from the center of the sphere.

Thanks!Relevant Equations:
Volume of sphere:4/3(pi)r^3
(D) Charge Density=Charge/volume

[Attempt]
I tried to find Q (charge) using D=Q/(4/3(pi)r^3)

Now I am Lost. There are many Electrical Field Equations. I tried plugging into EA=Q/ε but it did not work. I also tried E=q/((4/3(pi)r^2)r^3)

Please help me solve this. Can I see a step by step guide?

Thank you

According to the Forum rules, you need to show some attempt for the solution.
What are those many electrical field equations? Which do you think of them relevant?

ehild

There is a nice little "trick" one can use for the first two questions - it's a fact about the electric field of a uniformly charged sphere that will surely be mentioned in your textbook.

There is another useful tool for finding the electric field of charge distributions that are symmetric. This tool will make this problem even easier.

You're close - you just need to know which tools to use and when. Skim over your text and try to understand the underlying concepts and when you can apply different methods of finding electric fields because "there are many electrical field equations" as you said.

What is an insulating sphere?

An insulating sphere is a spherical object made of a material that does not allow the flow of electric current. This means that the electrons within the material are tightly bound and cannot move freely.

What is electric field?

Electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force acting on a charged particle at any given point in space.

How do you find the electric field from an insulating sphere?

To find the electric field from an insulating sphere, you first need to know the charge of the sphere and its distance from the point where you want to calculate the electric field. You can then use the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the sphere.

Can the electric field from an insulating sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric field from an insulating sphere can be negative. This would occur if the charge on the sphere is negative, as the electric field is directly proportional to the charge. However, the direction of the electric field will always be away from the sphere, regardless of whether it is positive or negative.

What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system, or volts per meter (V/m) in the CGS system.