1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding extreme values by partial differentiation.

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I sat my calculus exam at the end of june and of the questions on the paper required us to find the extreme values of the following equation:

[itex]g\left(x,y\right) = \left(x-1\right)\left(y-1\right)\left(x^{2} + y^{2} -2\right)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i get:

[itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x} = 0 = \left(y-1\right)\left(3x^{2}-2x+y^{2} -2\right)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y} = 0 = \left(x-1\right)\left(3y^{2}-2y+x^{2} -2\right)[/itex]

From this I get 3 critical points [itex]\left(1,1\right), \left(1,-1\right), \left(-1,1\right)[/itex].

However in the answer sheet there are three more, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get them. Is there a special trick that I'm missing out on? Any help would be much appreciated!

Final 3 points are included below for those who want to know them

[itex]\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex]
    [itex]\left(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{\sqrt[]{2}},\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{\sqrt[]{2}}\right)[/itex]
    [itex]\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{\sqrt[]{2}},\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{\sqrt[]{2}}\right)[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The other solutions come from the system of equations

3x2-2x+y^2-2=0 and 3y2-2y+x^2-2=0.

ehild

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    That's what I assumed to be the case, but unless I am doing something wrong I end up with

[itex]\left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 - \left(y-\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 = 0[/itex]

So the point is [itex]\left(\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex]

Thanks for the quick reply though!

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you solve [itex]\displaystyle \left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 - \left(y-\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 = 0\,?[/itex] There are more solutions than you gave.
    [itex]\displaystyle \left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 = \left(y-\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 [/itex]

taking the square root of both sides gives:
    [itex]\displaystyle \left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right) = \pm\left(y-\frac{1}{2}\right) [/itex]
    Can you solve that. The solution set is the union of two lines.

6. Aug 3, 2011 #5
    Wow yeah thanks, need to brush up on my more basic maths again I think. Thanks for the help from both of you! That question has been bugging me for a few weeks now =P.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook