Finding f(6) from a composite function

In summary: However, since this is a volunteer effort, we can not give out any rewards. In summary, our volunteers provide help, but don't receive any rewards.
Akash47
Homework Statement
If x, a, b are positive integers, f(x) is positive integer too. And if a>b, then
f(a)>f(b).What is f(6)?
Relevant Equations
f(f(x))= x^2+2
It is obvious that the function f is not injective. From the given equation, we get f(f(2))=6.And since,there is an inequality given in the problem, I think we can use that to find f(6).But I have got stuck here and can't move.Do I have to find what is f(x) first?Then how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Akash47 said:
It is obvious that the function f is not injective. From the given equation, we get f(f(2))=6.And since,there is an inequality given in the problem, I think we can use that to find f(6).But I have got stuck here and can't move.Do I have to find what is f(x) first?Then how?
If you consider that for this exercise, f does not need to be defined for negative numbers, then f can be treated as being injective. However, I don't see that being injective would help.

I don't see how to find f(x) in general.

Use the given information to find some possible values for f.

Start with f(1).
What do you know? f(1) is a positive integer. Also, you know that f(f(1)) = 3 .

You also know that f(1) < f(2) < f(3) < ... : Right?

Likes DaveE
I know that f(1) < f(2) < f(3) , then f(f(1)) <f(f(2)) <f(f(3)) and that implies, 3<6<11! Who doesn't know this?I had tried this method and that didn't help me that's why I have posted the problem? Can you please help me a little bit more?

Akash47 said:
I know that f(1) < f(2) < f(3) , then f(f(1)) <f(f(2)) <f(f(3)) and that implies, 3<6<11! Who doesn't know this?I had tried this method and that didn't help me that's why I have posted the problem? Can you please help me a little bit more?

Use that ##(f\circ f) \circ f == f\circ (f \circ f)## (where ##\circ## is function composition) to conclude that ##f(x^2+2)=f(x)^2+2##. That let's you get more relations. SammyS is suggesting you guess values for ##f(1)## and see if they lead to contradictions. Try it. For example, can ##f(1)=1##?

Likes Akash47 and SammyS
Try making a table with columns of x, f(x), f(f(x)). Then start with some guesses to start out the f(x) column. You can then infer other table entries resulting from your guess and rule out the ones that violate the given restrictions. Similar to what you did to find 3<6<11.
I'm with SammyS; I don't have a clue how to find a closed form answer to what f(x) is. But I do know what f(6) is.

Thanks to all.I have solved the problem.

Akash47 said:
Thanks to all. I have solved the problem.
It's nice to know that you solved the problem.

However, the people who help students gain understanding and skills to solve problems here at PF are volunteers .

Our only reward is knowing that you have been helped, so, yes it's good that you indicted that you have a solution. A more satisfying reward for us is to actually see that solution, particularly the details we may have helped you with.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a mathematical function that is formed by combining two or more functions. It is denoted by f(g(x)) and reads as "f of g of x".

2. How do I find f(6) from a composite function?

To find f(6) from a composite function, you need to first determine the inner function (g(x)) and the outer function (f(x)). Then, substitute 6 in place of x in the inner function and evaluate the result. Finally, take this result and substitute it in place of x in the outer function to get the final value of f(6).

3. Can I use the order of operations when evaluating a composite function?

Yes, you can use the order of operations when evaluating a composite function. Just like any other mathematical expression, you should first evaluate the innermost function and then work your way out.

4. Is it possible to have more than two functions in a composite function?

Yes, it is possible to have more than two functions in a composite function. In fact, you can have any number of functions as long as they are properly nested within each other.

5. How can I tell if a function is a composite function?

A function is a composite function if it is made up of two or more functions. You can tell if a function is a composite function by looking for the presence of multiple functions within its definition. If there is only one function present, then it is not a composite function.