Finding final kinetic energy of a system

In summary, a uniform solid sphere with a metal spike driven through it is free to rotate about the spike like a bowling ball on a stick. A bullet is fired at the sphere and comes to rest inside it at a distance of 2/3 of the radius from the center. The final kinetic energy can be determined using the principle of conservation of angular momentum. However, the exact location of the bullet inside the sphere may affect the result.
stripes

Homework Statement

A uniform solid sphere of mass M and radius R has a light, thin metal spike driven through it, so it is free to turn about this spike. So imagine a bowling ball on a stick that is free to rotate about this stick.

A bullet of mass m is fired at speed v into the ball at a distance 2R/3 from the center, and it comes to rest in the sphere. What is the final kinetic energy? Hint: angular momentum.

I recall my instructor saying it might or might not matter where the bullet ends up...but we never really concluded anything. If it does matter, let's say it ends up half way through the ball.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we use angular momentum because it is conserved in this case, while linear momentum is not.

To be honest I'm not sure where to begin...I'm trying to put things together but I'm not sure where the distance 2R/3 comes into play, for example. If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
A likely scenario is that the bullet strikes the bowling ball horizontally at a height of 2/3 R above the horizontal center line of the ball:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63778&stc=1&d=1383948205.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 647
hi stripes! :smile:
stripes said:
A uniform solid sphere of mass M and radius R has a light, thin metal spike driven through it, so it is free to turn about this spike. So imagine a bowling ball on a stick that is free to rotate about this stick.

A bullet of mass m is fired at speed v into the ball at a distance 2R/3 from the center, and it comes to rest in the sphere. What is the final kinetic energy?

i think this question is totally incomprehensible :redface:

does it mean 2/3R from the stick ?

and yes of course it matters how far in the bullet stops!

Hey guys. I have since solved the problem. Also, I copied it verbatim as per the assignment. If you ever check my other homework questions in physics, you will find that it's not uncommon for this instructor to word them poorly, like this. I just went to see him and clarify. Thanks anyways.

gneill said:
A likely scenario is that the bullet strikes the bowling ball horizontally at a height of 2/3 R above the horizontal center line of the ball:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63778&stc=1&d=1383948205.gif
It will have to be a vertical axis, or there will be no 'final' KE; it will oscillate.

haruspex said:
It will have to be a vertical axis, or there will be no 'final' KE; it will oscillate.

Ah. True. So the "spike" is vertical and the diagram I drew is looking down on the scene from above.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How do you find the final kinetic energy of a system?

To find the final kinetic energy of a system, you need to first calculate the individual kinetic energy of each object in the system using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2. Then, you can add up the kinetic energies of each object to find the total final kinetic energy of the system.

3. What units are used to measure kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). However, it can also be measured in other units such as ergs or foot-pounds.

4. How is kinetic energy related to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are both forms of energy that an object can possess. They are related in that potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, a rolling ball has both kinetic energy due to its motion and potential energy due to its position on a hill.

5. Can the final kinetic energy of a system be greater than the initial kinetic energy?

Yes, the final kinetic energy of a system can be greater than the initial kinetic energy if additional energy is added to the system, such as through an external force or by converting potential energy into kinetic energy. This is known as energy conservation, where the total energy of a closed system remains constant.