Finding final velocity from a fall

In summary, I'm having trouble with this problem: I'm using utexas's webhw service, and the answer above was not correct, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?not 100% sure on this but i think: the 79g-88N=79a is wrong the units don't cancel out properly, you know the 88N upward on the person what's the force he excerts downard? with those two figures you can use F=ma knowing F and m to determine the actual a, and plug that into the Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad equation. I solved the problem by calculating the amount of downward force one the person; mainly his weight minus the resistance
lzh
I'm having trouble with this problem:
"A 79kg person escapes from a burning building by jumping from a window 25m above a net.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2
Assuming that air resistance is a constant 88 N force on the person during the fall, find the person's velocity just before hitting the net"
So for this problem i used F=ma:
79g-88=79a
a=8.6861m/s^2
this is the correct acceleration i believe and to find final velocity i used:
Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad where d is displacement
Vf^2=2(8.6861)(25)
vf=20.85m/s
I'm using utexas's webhw service, and the answer above was not correct, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
not 100% sure on this but i think:
the 79g-88N=79a is wrong the units don't cancel out properly, you know the 88N upward on the person what's the force he excerts downard?
with those two figures you can use F=ma knowing F and m to determine the actual a, and plug that into the Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad equation

I solved the problem by calculating the amount of downward force one the person; mainly his weight minus the resistance. Then I used that F in the work formula; W=FD. D would be the 25m. I got the W in Jules so I let that W = KE, which is kinetic Energy. so, W = MV^2. and solved for the desired quantity.
Same ans. So I suppose you’re ans is right.

bob1182006 said:
the 79g-88N=79a is wrong the units don't cancel out properly, you know the 88N upward on the person what's the force he excerts downard?
with those two figures you can use F=ma knowing F and m to determine the actual a, and plug that into the Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad equation
79g is his weight, which is in N, which cancels out
bob1182006 said:
I solved the problem by calculating the amount of downward force one the person; mainly his weight minus the resistance. Then I used that F in the work formula; W=FD. D would be the 25m. I got the W in Jules so I let that W = KE, which is kinetic Energy. so, W = MV^2. and solved for the desired quantity.
Same ans. So I suppose you’re ans is right.
but it isn't right...

bob1182006 said:

I'm not sure wat u mean. But the unites do cancel out propely:
(790N-88N)/79 = a.

well N is kg*m/s^2 79kg is just the weight you're missing the acceleration (gravity)

Typo:
*79kg.

yeah g as in acceleration due to gravity

sry was distracted >.< i get the same answer as you.
are you providing the required number of significant digits?

rounding and sig figs doesn;t matter

out of curiosity; what kind of deceleration is applied form falling on the net for a safe landing. Too much would cause the person to recoil up. too little would cause he/she to hit the ground.

lzh said:
I'm having trouble with this problem:

So for this problem i used F=ma:
79g-88=79a
a=8.6861m/s^2
this is the correct acceleration i believe and to find final velocity i used:
Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad where d is displacement
Vf^2=2(8.6861)(25)
vf=20.85m/s
Your method and answer look correct to me.

1. How do I calculate final velocity from a fall?

To calculate final velocity from a fall, you will need to know the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the distance of the fall. Then, you can use the formula vf = √(vi^2 + 2ad) to find the final velocity, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance of the fall.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth. This means that for every second an object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.

3. How does air resistance affect the final velocity of a fall?

Air resistance can significantly affect the final velocity of a fall. As an object falls, it experiences air resistance, which is a force that opposes the motion of the object. As the object's velocity increases, so does the force of air resistance, eventually reaching a point where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as the terminal velocity.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate final velocity for all falls?

No, you cannot use the same formula for all falls. The formula vf = √(vi^2 + 2ad) assumes that the acceleration due to gravity is constant and that there is no air resistance. In reality, these factors may vary depending on the situation, and different formulas may need to be used to accurately calculate the final velocity.

5. How do I account for the angle of a fall when calculating final velocity?

If the object is falling at an angle, you will need to use trigonometry to calculate the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity. Then, you can use the formula vf = √(vf,vertical^2 + vf,horizontal^2) to find the final velocity. Alternatively, you can use vector components to calculate the final velocity.