1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding flux through a part of infinite disc

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge ##(5\sqrt{2}+2\sqrt{5})## coulomb is placed on the axis of an infinite disc at distance ##a## from the centre of disc. The flux of this charge on the part of the disc having inner and outer radius of ##a## and ##2a## will be

A)##\dfrac{3}{2\epsilon_0}##

B)##\dfrac{1}{2\epsilon_0}##

C)##\dfrac{2(\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{2})}{\epsilon_0}##

D)##\dfrac{2\sqrt{5}+5\sqrt{2}}{2\epsilon_0}##

Answer: A

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved the given problem through integration but since this is an exam problem, I am wondering if there is a smarter way to solve this problem. Since the disc is infinite, I think we can use this fact to find a shorter method. Or is integration the only way to solve the problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you integrate by breaking the annular region of the disk into nested rings and integrating the normal component of E over the rings?

If so, there is a trick you can do to set up a much simpler integral that will yield the result. (You can avoid actually doing this integration if you happen to know the formula for the surface area of a spherical cap (hint). But that's something I would have to look up :blushing:)

4. Dec 10, 2013 #3
    Yes, that's exactly how I did it. :)

I think I understand your trick but I don't seem to able to apply it. Don't we have two spherical caps here? One of radius ##\sqrt{2a^2}## and the other of ##\sqrt{5a^2}##.

5. Dec 10, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was thinking of working with a single sphere which you could take to be a sphere of unit radius. But, yes, there will be two spherical caps on this sphere to consider, if you want to avoid integration. Or, you can set up a simple integral on this sphere and not worry about looking up a formula for the area of a spherical cap.

6. Dec 10, 2013 #5
    Umm...I don't get it, I have attached a figure, do I have to find the flux through the red spherical cap? I am thinking that I will have to deal with solid angle.

Attached Files:

7. Dec 10, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw a small sphere around the charge with a radius considerably smaller than ##a##. You can think of it as having unit radius.

EDIT: Here's a pic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. Dec 11, 2013 #7
    Brilliant! That is such a nice method, thank you very much TSny! :)

How did you think of the sphere? And what's wrong with my spherical caps?

9. Dec 11, 2013 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure how the thought came to me. Probably I've seen similar examples before. (I'm old)

Your spherical caps are just fine! It's a nice way and it will require about the same work as using a single sphere.

10. Dec 13, 2013 #9
    Very sorry for the delay in reply, I did not have access to internet.

Can you please tell me where you saw these kind of examples? :)

Yes, I reached the answer from my spherical caps too, thank you for the awesome solution TSny! :smile:

11. Dec 13, 2013 #10
    This question was from FIITJEE AITS part test II. Are you giving this exam ? Same here. I was not able to solve this problem during exam. It was only at home that I solved it by manual integration.

But your method is awesome shortcut TSny !! Thanks !! :)

12. Dec 13, 2013 #11

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I really can't say. You'll just pick up this sort of thing with practice.

Good work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted