Flux with an infinitely long surface cutting through a sphere

In summary: Thank you for the explanation! In summary, the problem involves finding the electric flux through the surface of a sphere with radius R that is intersected by an infinite plane with charge density ##\sigma##. The solution involves using Gauss' law and setting up a gaussian surface that is the surface of the sphere. The flux is then equal to the charge inside the sphere divided by the permittivity of free space.
mk9898

Homework Statement

Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-19 um 18.50.50.png
In the y-z plane there is an infinite long surface with charge density ##\sigma## that slices through a sphere with radius R. Determine the Flux.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the problem but am stuck at the last part. I used Gauss and found that the flux is equal to ##\frac{Q_{in}}{\epsilon_0}## (per the theorem of course). But at the end I have to formulate it with sigma and the area. Something like:

##\frac{Q_{in}}{\epsilon_0} =\frac{\sigma A_{in}}{\epsilon_0}=...##

But my question is, what exactly is ##A_{in}##? It is the area within the sphere? That would just be ##\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3## but that doesn't make much sense.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-19 um 18.50.50.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-19 um 18.50.50.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mk9898 said:
But my question is, what exactly is ##A_{in}##? It is the area within the sphere?
Since you want the charge inside the sphere, ##A_{in}## is the area of the region of the infinite plane that is inside the sphere. What is the geometrical shape of this region of the plane?

That would just be ##\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3## but that doesn't make much sense.
No. This formula would give you the volume of a sphere of radius ##r##.

TSny said:
Since you want the charge inside the sphere, ##A_{in}## is the area of the region of the infinite plane that is inside the sphere. What is the geometrical shape of this region of the plane?

The geometrical shape looks similar to a football, right? The thing that is throwing me off, is that the charge could encompass the entire sphere on the left, but then there would be no symmetry on the right. So I figured that A would just be a cross section of the entire sphere:##\pi R^2##

I'm leaning towards the fact it is a football shape and that would lead to ##A_in = \pi(R^2-x^2)##. But my concern with that, is that x is fixed. So from my photo if we moved the A_in (in blue) upward...it wouldn't be a football anymore it would just be a cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_8459.JPG
    IMG_8459.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 376
mk9898 said:
But why is the gaussian surface a circle around the plane?
I believe that you want to find the electric flux through the surface of the sphere that has radius R. This wasn't too clear in the statement of the problem in post #1. Therefore, the gaussian surface will be the surface of this sphere. The flux through this surface equals the charge inside this surface divided by ##\epsilon_0##.

upload_2018-6-19_16-54-58.png

The figure on the left is the original viewpoint where the infinite plane is seen edge-on, slicing through the sphere. The figure on the right shows looking perpendicularly into the infinite plane. The middle picture is an intermediate viewpoint.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-19_16-54-58.png
    upload_2018-6-19_16-54-58.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 347
Likes mk9898
Ahhhhh! Wow I cannot thank you enough! I had a totally false idea of what it looked like. Thank you thank you. Now all of my questions are answered.

OK, glad that I could help.

1. What is flux with an infinitely long surface cutting through a sphere?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity (such as energy or particles) through a given surface. In this case, the infinitely long surface is cutting through a sphere, which means it is intersecting the sphere at an infinite number of points.

2. How is flux calculated for this scenario?

The flux in this scenario can be calculated using the formula Φ = E*A*cos(θ), where Φ is the flux, E is the electric field, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface.

3. What is the significance of having an infinitely long surface?

Having an infinitely long surface allows for an infinite number of intersecting points with the sphere, which means the flux can be calculated for any point on the surface. This allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of the flux.

4. How does the shape of the sphere affect the flux?

The shape of the sphere can affect the flux by changing the angle θ between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface. This angle can affect the overall flux value, as the cosine function in the flux formula is dependent on this angle.

5. Is there a limit to the flux with an infinitely long surface cutting through a sphere?

Technically, there is no limit to the flux with an infinitely long surface cutting through a sphere. However, in practical scenarios, the flux will reach a maximum value as the distance from the surface to the sphere increases, and the intersecting points become more spread out. This maximum value can be calculated using the formula for the electric field of a point charge.