1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Force between 2 objects

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two objects are in contact on a frictionless surface. A horizontal force is applied to one object. Use m1 = 2.86 kg and m2 = 4.92 kg. If a force of 3.37 N acts between the two objects, what is the force F? I don't even know where to start! I've attempted this a numerous amount of times, and I still can't get the correct answer!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    So are you trying to find the force applied to the first object from whatever is pushing it and 3.37 N is the equal and opposite force applied between? If that is the case, the first thing you should do is just draw a picture with both objects then label all the forces acting on the boxes. Even if you don't know what they are. Disregard n(normal force) and w or mg (force due to gravity). They are not really a factor in this problem. You should for object 1 have a force acting against of 3.37 N(F21, force of object 2 onto object 1), as well as the force applied from whatever is pushing it (Fx). For object 2, you only have the force from object 1 of 3.37 N. Now set up your sum of forces equations.
    Now just do some algebra and you will be able to find the rest.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook