Finding Force of an Object on Incline w/ Constant Speed & Coefficient

In summary, the question asks for the time it takes to push a 100-lb box up a 20° hill at a constant speed of 30 ft/s, given a coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the hill of 1/3. The solution involves using the equation F=ma and considering all the forces acting on the box to find the net force of zero. The numerical answer is not provided, but the concept is explained and a free body diagram is included in the solution.
wmcbain

Homework Statement

Hi guys and gals,

Having an issue with this one and was hoping to get some help. I'm going to write out the equation and include an attachment with my free body diagram.

Q:

How long a force parallel to a 20° hill does it take to push a 100-lb box up the hill at a constant speed of 30 ft/s if the coefficient of the kinetic friction between the box and the hill is 1/3.

Homework Equations

F=ma fk=uk(Fn) w=mg m=w/g v=30ft/s

The Attempt at a Solution

F=ma
F=(100lb/32.2fts^2)(0)
=0

I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. There really isn't a good explanation in the book. I've included my free body diagram. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• incline_force.jpg
    incline_force.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay just did it on a paper and snapped a pic of it.

001.jpg

It appears not clear enough with flash >.<

So is there no numerical answer? Or just variables?

The idea is there are still forces acting on the objects, just that the net force (sum of all) is zero.
So your upward force is equal to your downward ones.

Okay, yeah I figured that. As F=ma equals zero. I appreciate your help. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else that I was missing

there is numerical answer...
I'm lazy to calculate it. Just told you the concept,ask if I'm not stating clearly
Try and post your calculations :)

okay good luck haha

I will try later. I got stumped, it's my last question for this week. I moved onto Chemistry. I will go back to it though and post.

cool :)

Sorry about the wait on this one. Been super busy learning new stuff. Below is the attachment to the solution.

Attachments

• Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 408

1. How do you calculate the force of an object on an incline with constant speed?

The force of an object on an incline with constant speed can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the coefficient in the equation for finding force on an incline?

The coefficient in the equation for finding force on an incline refers to the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline. This value is typically denoted by the symbol μ and is used to calculate the force of friction acting on the object.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the force of an object?

The greater the angle of the incline, the greater the force of gravity acting on the object. This results in a larger force being required to keep the object moving at a constant speed. In other words, as the angle of the incline increases, the force required to counteract gravity also increases.

4. Can the coefficient of friction affect the force of an object on an incline?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can affect the force of an object on an incline. A higher coefficient of friction means that there is a greater resistance to motion, requiring a larger force to overcome it and keep the object moving at a constant speed.

5. How does the mass of the object impact the force on an incline?

The mass of the object does not have a direct impact on the force on an incline. However, a heavier object will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, which will in turn require a larger force to keep it moving at a constant speed on an incline.