1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Force via Static Friction

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    This is a problem from my Physics 101 class that I'm having trouble solving. I'm not sure what equations I'm supposed to use.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To move a large crate across a rough floor, you push on it with a force F at an angle of 21° below the horizontal. Find the force necessary to start the crate moving, given that the mass of the crate is m = 34 kg and the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the floor is 0.48.

2. Relevant equations
    N= mgcosѲ = 311.386N
    W= mgsinѲ = 119.53N
    fs,max = mews*N = 149.465N
    ΣF = N + fs + W

3. The attempt at a solution
    Eek I don't know! That's why I'm posting!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Xthursday, welcome to the Forums! You have shown some attempt, but you must show more. This is a horizontal floor. The applied force (call it P) is at the angle noted. When summing forces acting on an object, you should look at the x and y components of the forces separately. In the x direction, you have the x component of the applied force acting right, and the friction force acting left. In the y direction, the weight acts straight down, the Normal force acts straight up,, and there is also the y component of the applied force acting down. Use Newton 1 in the y direction and in the x direction to solve for N and P. Please show your work.
  4. Oct 9, 2008 #3
    With some help from other examples I figured out which equation I need to be using:
    F= μs * mg / (cosѲ - μs sinѲ)
    F= (.48)*(34kg)*(9.81m/s²) / [(cos(21) -.48(sin(21))]
    F= 210.224 N
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?