Finding Friction Coefficient of Masses GA and GB

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks, A and B, with different masses and a wire with no mass. The blocks are initially at rest but the wire starts moving, causing B to move downward at a constant speed. The problem involves finding the friction coefficient, μ, between the blocks given their masses, and later adding a cat onto block A and analyzing the system's acceleration. The solution involves using Newton's second law and equating the friction force with the gravitational force. The final equation is μ=Gb/Ga. The second part of the problem is not fully understood and requires further clarification.
MisterOL

Homework Statement

Blocks A and B have mass of Ga and Gb respectively. Wire has no mass, it starts moving so that B has constant speed downward

Homework Equations

1.Find μ (frictionkoeficient) regarding GA og GB.
2.When system start moving a cat with weight Ga jums on block A and system stops ( falls into equilabration ) Show that acceleration is proven by this formula :
a= - (μGA / (2GA + 2GB) ) * g

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
heres the pic to describe prob

Attachments

• fiys2.jpg
    fiys2.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 396
Start by enumerating the forces that act upon the two blocks. Ignore the cat for now.

You mean like this ?

Attachments

• fiys22.jpg
    fiys22.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 396
I mean Block A: gravity, friction ... and later a cat
Block B : gravity

In order to unify them you place them in an equation:

Ffriction=Fgravity

Ffriction=μGag

Fgravity=Gbg

Have fun

ok here is how I attempt to solve the case
Take a look at the pic

step 1 regarding 3)
Since there is no mass on "wheel" F(res) = m(wheel) * a = 0*a = 0
step 2 regarding 3)
K = [tex]\sqrt{}((SxS)+(SxS)[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex] * S
step 3 regarding 1)
Newtons 2. in
x direction gives S - R = Ma
y direction gives N = Mg
step 4 regarding 2)
y direction mg - S = ma

if we add S-R = Ma and mg - S = ma we end up with
(M+m)a = mg - R
since R = μ * N and N = Mg
(M+m)a = mg - ( μ * Mg)
-μ * mg - mg - Mg = a (M+m)
μ*mg = Ma + ma - Mg * mg hence
μ = (Ma + ma - Mg * mg)/ mg

whatever I try it does not leave me with Mg or/and mg alone in equasion...

Attachments

• fys44.jpg
    fys44.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 380
can someone please help me need to do this by tomorrow :(

I will not read all of the above because it is much too much...
The problem is simple ... not complicated.
B pulls A at a constant velocity which means that the friction of A is equal to the pulling force of B which is a gravitational pull.
That means that μGag=Gbg from which we get μ=Gb/Ga just as simple as that.
About the second part I don't get what acceleration it is all about but maybe some else undestands.

Related to Finding Friction Coefficient of Masses GA and GB

1. What is the purpose of finding the friction coefficient of masses GA and GB?

The purpose of finding the friction coefficient of masses GA and GB is to measure the amount of friction between two surfaces when one is sliding against the other. This information is important in understanding the forces at play in a system and can be used in designing and optimizing machines and structures.

2. How is the friction coefficient of masses GA and GB calculated?

The friction coefficient of masses GA and GB can be calculated by dividing the force of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force between them. This can be done by conducting experiments and measuring the forces involved, or by using mathematical equations and known values of the materials involved.

3. What factors can affect the friction coefficient of masses GA and GB?

The friction coefficient of masses GA and GB can be affected by a variety of factors such as the roughness of the surfaces, the materials involved, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants. Other environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role in the friction coefficient.

4. How is the friction coefficient of masses GA and GB used in real-world applications?

The friction coefficient of masses GA and GB is used in many real-world applications, including the design of vehicles, sports equipment, and industrial machinery. It is also used in the development of new materials and coatings to reduce friction and improve performance.

5. What are some techniques for measuring and determining the friction coefficient of masses GA and GB?

There are several techniques for measuring and determining the friction coefficient of masses GA and GB. These include using a tribometer, which measures the force of friction between two surfaces, conducting experiments with varying amounts of weight and force, and using mathematical models and simulations to estimate the friction coefficient based on known properties of the materials involved.