1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding general solution for ODE.

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the following differential equation:
    1) Provide the general solution
    2) Discuss for which values of x the solution is defined.
    3) Find the solution of the initial value problem y(0) = 3

2. Relevant equations
    dy/dx = (y+3)(y-5)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) so I seperate variables and get (1/8)*(log(y-5)-log(y+3)) = x + C after integration.
    Now i need to solve for x right? How would I go about doing this? Can't seem to figure out how to rearange.
    2) I dont think i can do this until i find the general solution? But once its found do i just find its domain?
    3) For this i just substitute the initial values in, solve for C and then place back in equation?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you get ∫dy/[(y+3)(y-5)] = (1/8)[log(x-5)-log(x-3)]?

RGV

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    sorry replace the x's with y's that was a typo. And i did it by splitting into partial fractions then integrating each term simply. Was that not correct?

5. Mar 12, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need to solve for x; it is already done---just read your own equation! Now, if you wanted to solve for y as a function of x, that would involve a bit more effort, but is still just elementary algebra: use standard properties of log to do it.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook