Finding general solutions of forced equations

• Thread starter metalscot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a general solution to the equation x'' + 2x' + x = 3. It explains the process of finding the complimentary solution and the particular solution, and how they can be combined to form the general solution. The conversation also mentions the existence of rules for finding particular solutions for ODEs.
metalscot
I am having trouble after finding the complimentary solution to this problem, if possible I would like some guidance on how to proceed with the particular solution

Find a general solution to the following equation: x'' + 2x' + x = 3

x'' + 2x' + x = 3

complimentary solution when = 0

x'' + 2x' + x = 0

m^2 + 2m + 1 = 0

so this has only one root; m=-1

complimentary solution must then be in the form

x(t) = Ae^mt + Bte^mt

particular solution when = 3

x'' + 2x' + x = 3

From this point I am unsure how to proceed and would value any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look for a solution of the form yp = C, a constant.

LCKurtz said:
Look for a solution of the form yp = C, a constant.

Thank you LCKurtz, in this example because I have x''+2x'+x=3

If I plug a value of x=3 into my original equation I end up with x=3 as a final answer so

x(t)particular=3

giving me x(t)general= x(t)complimentary + x(t)particular:

x(t)=Ae^-1t + Bte^-1t + 3 ?

metalscot said:
Thank you LCKurtz, in this example because I have x''+2x'+x=3

If I plug a value of x=3 into my original equation I end up with x=3 as a final answer so

x(t)particular=3

giving me x(t)general= x(t)complimentary + x(t)particular:

x(t)=Ae^-1t + Bte^-1t + 3 ?
Spot on :approve:

There are some general "rules" when finding particular solutions to ODEs, depending on the form of the forcing term. You will likely find them in your textbook.

Hootenanny said:
Spot on :approve:

There are some general "rules" when finding particular solutions to ODEs, depending on the form of the forcing term. You will likely find them in your textbook.

Thanks Hootenanny, I have a more complex forcing term to move onto now but with this basis I think I will get there.

What is the definition of a forced equation?

A forced equation is an equation that includes a term or function representing an external force acting on the system. This force can be a constant or time-dependent function, and it is typically denoted by the letter "F".

What are general solutions of forced equations?

General solutions of forced equations are equations that provide a solution for the entire range of values of the independent variable. These solutions take into account both the homogeneous solution (without the external force) and the particular solution (with the external force).

How do you find general solutions of forced equations?

To find the general solutions of forced equations, you first need to solve the homogeneous equation (without the external force) by finding the roots of the characteristic equation. Then, you need to find a particular solution by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. Finally, you combine the homogeneous and particular solutions to get the general solution.

What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to find a particular solution to a forced equation. It involves assuming a particular form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients by substituting the assumed solution into the original equation.

When is the method of variation of parameters used?

The method of variation of parameters is used when the coefficients of the forced equation are not constant. This method involves finding a particular solution by assuming a general form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients using integration.