Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding gravity through experimental data

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Experimentally measured time of fall
    vs. distance for a freely falling object
    Distance, x (m) Time, t (s)
    0.1 0.148
    0.2 0.196
    0.3 0.244
    0.4 0.290
    0.5 0.315
    0.6 0.352
    0.7 0.385
    0.8 0.403
    0.9 0.429
    1.0 0.451
    Let the mathematical model be: x = 0.5gt^2 and assume that x = 0 at t = 0 :
    a. In the light of what you learnt in problem 1.1 (parts a and b) and the form of the equation
    x = 0.5gt^2 , discuss (without calculations) two different methods that can be used to find g, the
    acceleration due to gravity, from a straight line graph representation. In each method, indicate
    explicitly the vertical variable, horizontal variable, slope, and intercept. Draw sketches.
    b. Find a numerical estimate for g based on the above table, using the EXCEL program?

2. Relevant equations

x = 0.5gt^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the value of g is 9.81 m/s^2 but this is asking how to show it through experimental data and graph. I think maybe taking the ln of both sides to change this into y=mx+b form might help but am unsure. Also, I thing g would be the constant in the equation if it was changed to y = mx + b form therefore it'd be the slope value.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It gives you the values of x and t, you have the equation that relates them. Solve for g.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?