Finding group velocity from phase velocity of surface ripples

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 7K views
CollectiveRocker
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
If a question says: The phase velocity of ripples on the liquid surface is (2πS / λp)^(1/2), where S is the surface tension and p is the density of the liquid. Find the group velocity of the ripples. I know that the phase velocity = omega/k, and group velocity = delta omega/delta k. Do I just take the deriviative of the phase velocity with respect to S?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Is S k?
2.[tex]\frac{d}{dk}(\frac{\omega}{k})=\frac{d\omega}{dk}[/tex]?
is that what you're saying?
Then think again.
 
S is the surface tension of the liquid. Is there another way to find the group velocity?
 
You have the definition; wherever have you gotten the idea that the surface tension S is the wavenumber "k"?
 
I realize that S is not k. Yet how do I do the problem?
 
Since you have the phase velocity, you may find the frequency [tex]\omega[/tex]
The group velocity is then, by your definition, the derivative of [tex]\omega[/tex] with respect to "k".
 
How can we find omega if we don't know what k is?
 
Multiply your phase velocity with k.
 
No, because your wavelength satisfies identically the relation:
[tex]\lambda{k}=2\pi[/tex]
since your expression for ph.vel. is proportional to the square root of the wavelength, your frequency will be proportional to the square root of the wavenumber
 
this probably sounds really idiotic on my part. I just need to take (dw/dk) of k(2πS / λp)^(1/2), right?
 
Yes, it will
Differentiate, if you dare..:wink: