1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding impact speed of a high altitude free fall

1. Mar 9, 2014 #1
    If we neglect the effects of air resistance, the impact speed of a body of mass m released from rest at an altitude of 2 x 10^8 m above the surface of Earth (mass of earth = M = 5.99 x 10^24 kg, radius of earth = 6.37 x 10^6 m)

It's a multiple choice and I think I have it, but I just want to make sure because we just scraped over the surface of gravitation.

I used conservation of mechanical energy where ΔU = -GMm/r and ΔK = (1/2)mv^2
    Setting them equal and opposite, m cancels and we get:

v^2 = 2GM/r, where r is the radius of earth plus the altitude. I get that the answer is 1968 m/s. Am I doing this correct? I only ask because my answer would then be "None of these is correct" for the multiple choice.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2014 #2
    I just realized that the change in potential energy radius would be the altitude minus the radius of earth...but it still comes out to about 2000 m/s which is still not an answer.

4. Mar 9, 2014 #3
    I used a different equation for gravitational potential energy: U = -(Gmm/R)(R + h)^-1 where h is the altitude and R is the radius of earth, and found an answer that is in the multiple choice: 1.10 x 10^4 m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted