Finding impedance and peak voltage in an RLC circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
mmmboh
Messages
401
Reaction score
0
Hi here is the problem:
vg2ccx.jpg
What I did was Z=[(XL-Xc)2+R2]1/2 = 5 ohm

and then V/R = I = 110(2)1/2/5=31.1A

For part B) I did V=L(di/dt)=-Lwsin(wt), and the peak amplitude is when sin(wt)=-1 and is 377V.

Can someone tell me if what I did is right, or what is wrong?

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mmmboh said:
What I did was Z=[(XL-Xc)2-R2]1/2 = 5 ohm

and then V/R = I = 110(2)1/2/5=31.1A

For part B) I did V=L(di/dt)=-LWsin(wt), and the peak amplitude is when sin(wt)=-1 and is 377V.

Your impedance formula is incorrect. Also, what value did you use for ω?
 
Sorry I meant +R not -R..but I used the right formula when calculating the value of 5. For w I used 2(pi)f=377 Hz
 
Looks OK then. I assume that you plugged in the numbers and got XC and XL correctly.