Finding Incident Intensity for Unpolarized Light

Polaroids.So, for φ = 30°, the ratio of transmitted to incident intensity is:I"/Io = (Io/2*cos^2(30)) / Io/2 = cos^2(30) = 0.75In summary, the ratio of transmitted to incident intensity for initially unpolarised light when two sheets of Polaroid are placed on top of each other with an angle of 30° between their pass directions is 0.75.
wiped_out

Homework Statement

Two sheets of Polaroid are placed on top of each other with an angle φ between their pass
directions. Calculate be the ratio of transmitted to incident intensity for initially unpolarised
light if φ = 30°.I copied the question exactly, I'm pretty sure that typo wasn't on purpose but I left it there anyway.

Homework Equations

I0 = I'/2

Malus's Law
I = I0 cos^2 θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above to do:

= I0 cos^2(30)
cos^2(30)=.75
.75 x .75 = .5625 = 9/16
= I0(9/16)

not sure if that is right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the unpolarised light is transmitted through a Polaroid, 50% of light is transmitted. So I' = Io/2
When it passes through second Polaroid, the intensity of transmitted light is
I" = Io/2*cos^2(θ)

Your attempt at the solution is correct. The ratio of transmitted to incident intensity for initially unpolarized light with an angle of 30° between the pass directions of the two polarizing sheets is 9/16 or approximately 0.5625. This means that only 56.25% of the incident light will be transmitted through the two polarizing sheets. This result can also be obtained by using Malus's Law, which states that the intensity of transmitted light is equal to the initial intensity multiplied by the cosine squared of the angle between the pass directions of the polarizing sheets. Therefore, the intensity of transmitted light would be 75% of the initial intensity, or 0.75 x I0. Taking this into account, the ratio of transmitted to incident intensity would be (0.75 x I0)/I0 = 0.75, which is equivalent to 9/16. This confirms your solution.

1. What is unpolarized light?

Unpolarized light is a type of light in which the electric field oscillations occur in all possible directions perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This means that the light waves are randomly oriented and have no preferred direction.

2. How is incident intensity measured for unpolarized light?

Incident intensity for unpolarized light is typically measured using a photodetector or a light meter. This device measures the total amount of light energy that is incident on its surface, regardless of the direction in which the light is polarized.

3. What factors affect the incident intensity of unpolarized light?

The incident intensity of unpolarized light can be affected by the light source, the distance between the source and the object, and any obstructions or filters that the light may encounter on its path.

4. How is the incident intensity of unpolarized light different from polarized light?

The incident intensity of unpolarized light is the total amount of energy that is present in all directions, whereas polarized light only has energy in one specific direction. This means that the incident intensity of unpolarized light is usually higher than that of polarized light.

5. Why is it important to know the incident intensity of unpolarized light?

Knowing the incident intensity of unpolarized light is important in many scientific experiments and applications. It can help determine the amount of energy that is present in a given area, and can also provide important information about the properties of the light source itself.