Finding Initial Angle for a Projectile to Hit a Target 10,000 ft Away

In summary: You getR=S/2Thus, if S=10000ft, R=5000ftIn summary, using the equations S=ut-½at2 and R=vt, we can find that for a shell fired from ground level with a muzzle speed of 800 ft/s to hit a ground-level target 10,000 ft away, the elevation angle must be 15 degrees. However, there was a mistake in the given work and the correct equation should be sin(θ)=t/50.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

:
[/B]
Find two elevation angles that will enable a shell, fired from

ground level with a muzzle speed of 800 ft/s, to hit a groundlevel

target 10,000 ft away.

Homework Equations

Look at attached picture

The Attempt at a Solution

Look at attached picture

***I get to cos(x)sin(x)=1/4, but I don't think you can solve that for an angle x...

Attachments

• New Doc 1_1.jpg
    New Doc 1_1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
***UPDATE***

I got one of the angles, and it checks out with the answer key, but how on Earth do I get the angle of 15?

MY WORK:
New Doc 2Page 1.jpg

ANSWER KEY:
ANSWER KEY.png

Marcin H said:
***UPDATE***

I got one of the angles, and it checks out with the answer key, but how on Earth do I get the angle of 15?

MY WORK:
View attachment 89769
ANSWER KEY:
View attachment 89770
You have a mistake in your work. As best as I can tell, your answer is close only due to a coincidence.

One of your equations is ##50\sin(\theta) = t## and the other is ##800 \cos(\theta)t = 10000##
Your mistake is in solving for ##\sin(\theta)## in the first equation. It should be ##\sin(\theta) = \frac t {50}##.

BTW, please make an effort to post your work here, rather than as an image. Your work is somewhat difficult to read.

S=ut-½at2. (1)
R=vt. (2)

Just eliminate t, and substitute data in the last equation.

What is the initial angle?

The initial angle refers to the starting angle of an object or system. It is the angle at which the object or system begins its movement.

Why is finding the initial angle important?

Knowing the initial angle is important because it helps to determine the trajectory, velocity, and other physical properties of an object or system. It is a crucial piece of information in studying and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.

How do you find the initial angle?

To find the initial angle, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent, depending on the given information. You can also use measurement tools such as protractors or specialized instruments like inclinometers.

What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the initial angle?

The accuracy of finding the initial angle can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, environmental conditions, and the complexity of the object or system in motion. It is important to use precise and calibrated tools and to consider all relevant factors when determining the initial angle.

Can the initial angle change over time?

Yes, the initial angle can change over time if the object or system is subject to external forces such as gravity, friction, or air resistance. These forces can alter the trajectory and affect the initial angle of the object or system.