Firing mortar and cliff edge, Feynman Lectures 4.17

In summary, the problem is to determine the smallest horizontal distance from the cliff face that shells can reach if fired at a muzzle speed of 1000 ft/s from a mortar emplacement set 27,000 ft horizontally from the edge of a 350 ft cliff. The solution involves using projectile motion equations to eliminate variables and finding the value of theta that minimizes the distance. The key is to notice that the shell should miss the top edge of the cliff by a certain amount in order to minimize the horizontal position of impact at the ground level.
Jabedi13

Homework Statement

"A mortar emplacement is set 27,000 ft horizontally from edge of a cliff that drops 350 ft down from level of mortar...It is desired to shell objects concealed on the ground behind the cliff. What is the smallest horizontal distance d from the cliff face that shells can reach if fired at a muzzle speed 1000 ft/s"
Problem 4.17 from Exercises for the Feynman Lectures on Physics

Homework Equations

x = v*cos(theta)*t
v(y) = v*sin(theta) - g*t
y = v*sin(theta)*t -(1/2)*32*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This may sound stupid, but I am really stumped on this one. If my basic understanding of the concept is correct, I should be trying to use 27,000 - d = x = v*cos(theta)*t Other attempts gave me incorrect answers.
With this equation I have three unknowns: d, theta, and time. I know I am probably missing something simple and stupid but I can not figure out how to use the projectile motion equations to eliminate the other variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, it should be 27000 + d, not 27000 - d, because d is past the edge of the cliff. You know y, because you know the final height. So you can use the y equation to write t in terms of theta and d. Then you can plug this into the x equation to eliminate t, giving you one equation relating theta and d. Then you use calculus to find the value of theta that minimizes d. Why don't you try this and post your attempts.

Hello, Jabedi13. Welcome to PF!

Draw a sketch of the setup and try drawing various trajectories. Is there anything special about the trajectory that gives the minimum distance between the cliff face and the point of landing?

I have tried it a couple times, solving y for t. I end up with a complicated quadratic formula. Using that in the x equation gives a messy derivative that I probably got wrong and am not sure how to set to zero. Am I missing something?

Tried uploading pictures, didn't work. I will try to upload and scan them when I get home.

Jabedi13 said:
I have tried it a couple times, solving y for t. I end up with a complicated quadratic formula. Using that in the x equation gives a messy derivative that I probably got wrong and am not sure how to set to zero. Am I missing something?

You don't need to use any calculus.

Hint: By sketching various trajectories, can you notice anything regarding how far the shell should miss the top edge of the cliff in order to minimize the horizontal position of impact at the ground level?

1. What is a mortar and how does it work?

A mortar is a type of weapon used in warfare that fires projectiles at high angles. It consists of a barrel, a base, and a firing mechanism. When the firing mechanism is activated, it ignites gunpowder or other propellant, creating an explosion that propels the projectile out of the barrel and towards its target.

2. What is a cliff edge and how does it relate to firing mortars?

A cliff edge is a steep drop-off or edge of a cliff. In the context of firing mortars, it refers to the position from which the mortar is fired. By positioning the mortar at the edge of a cliff, the projectile can be fired at a high angle, increasing its range and accuracy.

3. What are Feynman Lectures and why are they relevant to firing mortars?

The Feynman Lectures are a series of physics lectures written by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. In lecture 4.17, Feynman discusses the physics behind firing mortars and how they can be affected by factors such as wind and gravity.

4. How does firing a mortar near a cliff edge affect its trajectory?

Firing a mortar near a cliff edge can greatly affect its trajectory due to the presence of wind and the change in elevation. The wind can cause the projectile to deviate from its intended path, while the change in elevation can alter the projectile's arc and distance. These factors must be taken into account when aiming and firing a mortar near a cliff edge.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when firing mortars near a cliff edge?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when firing mortars near a cliff edge. These include ensuring that the mortar is stable and secure, maintaining a safe distance from the edge, and wearing appropriate protective gear. It is also important to carefully calculate and adjust for any potential hazards such as wind or uneven terrain.