Finding initial speed and accleration

In summary, the problem involves a truck traveling 50.0 m in 9.00 s and slowing down to a final speed of 2.40 m/s. The original speed and acceleration of the truck need to be determined. Using the equations x = v0*t + 1/2 *a*t2 and v2 = v02 + 2*a*x, the initial speed can be solved for by rearranging the second equation and plugging it into the first equation. Then, the acceleration can be solved for using the given information.
hsma
1. A truck covers 50.0 m in 9.00 s while smoothly slowing down to final speed 2.40 m/s.

Find the trucks original speed.

Find its accleration.

2. Homework Equations
im using
x = v0*t + 1/2 *a*t2
and
v2 = v02 + 2*a*x

I believe this is what the question gives me.

Xo = 0
Xf = 50
Vo = ?
Vf = 2.4
a = ?
t = 9 secs

3. I am positive that i have to use the two equations stated above. but both equations have accleration and Vo as unknown variables. i just need a hint on what's the best way to find accleration or Vo. I don't know if I am clear what I am saying but its the best way i can explain it. sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm...ok I tried the problem (I suck @ sig figs hope you're better @ them).

first your formula's are wrongish:

[tex]x=x_0+v_0 t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]v=v_0+at[/tex]

you could easily use the 2n'd formula to find a but you don't know initial v.

So use the first formula, since you're given begining/ending position and ending speed.
But you need to solve for initial v first. even though you don't know it you know that v=v0+at so move the variable's on the 2n'd formula to solve for initial v, plug that into the first and solve for a, and go from there.

thanks. worked them to get right answer. silly mistake using wrong equations.

1. What is initial speed and how is it measured?

Initial speed, also known as initial velocity, is the speed at which an object starts moving. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1), where v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities, and t1 and t2 are the initial and final times.

3. How is initial speed and acceleration related?

The initial speed and acceleration of an object are related in a linear motion, meaning that the acceleration remains constant. This means that the initial speed will increase or decrease by the same amount every second due to the acceleration.

4. Can initial speed and acceleration change during motion?

Yes, initial speed and acceleration can change during motion. An object can start with an initial speed of 0 and accelerate to a higher speed, or it can start with a certain speed and decelerate to a lower speed. The acceleration can also change if the force acting on the object changes.

5. How do we find initial speed and acceleration from a distance-time graph?

To find the initial speed from a distance-time graph, you can use the slope of the line. The slope represents the velocity, so the initial speed can be found by taking the slope of the line at the starting point. To find the acceleration, you can use the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration.