Finding initial vertical velocity given acceleration

In summary, Sam heaves a 16-lb shot straight upward with a constant upward acceleration of 45.4 m/s^2, releasing it at a height of 2.16 m above the ground. Ignoring air resistance, the speed of the shot when released can be calculated using the equation V=initial V + at or V^2=initial V^2 + 2a(x-initial x). Using the given values, the final velocity is found to be 7.68 m/s.
freshyy

Homework Statement

Sam heaves a shot with weight 16-lb straight upward, giving it a constant upward acceleration from rest of 45.4 m/s^2 for a height 65.0 cm . He releases it at height 2.16 m above the ground. You may ignore air resistance.

Q-What is the speed of the shot when he releases it?

Homework Equations

: [/B]
Equations I believe I can use are
V=initial V +at or
V^2=initial V^2 +2a(x-initial x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the final velocity would be zero when it is at the highest point i got
0=initial V^2 +2(45.4m/s^2)(-.65m)
I would have V ^2=59.02
then V=7.68m/s
but this says it is wrong when i check my answer.
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
freshyy said:
Since the final velocity would be zero when it is at the highest point i got
The final velocity is the velocity when he releases it--that's not zero. It starts at zero.

Nonetheless, the equation is correct and so is your answer. Are you sure you are posting the exact problem?

What is the formula for finding initial vertical velocity given acceleration?

The formula for finding initial vertical velocity given acceleration is v0 = v - at, where v0 is the initial vertical velocity, v is the final vertical velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What are the units for initial vertical velocity and acceleration?

The units for initial vertical velocity are typically meters per second (m/s), while the units for acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2).

Can initial vertical velocity be negative?

Yes, initial vertical velocity can be negative. A negative initial vertical velocity indicates that the object is moving downwards.

How does air resistance affect the calculation of initial vertical velocity?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of initial vertical velocity, as it may cause a decrease in the acceleration of the object. In this case, the formula for finding initial vertical velocity may need to be adjusted to incorporate the effects of air resistance.

What are some real-life applications of finding initial vertical velocity?

Finding initial vertical velocity is important in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the launch velocity of a rocket or determining the starting velocity of an object dropped from a certain height. It is also useful in sports, such as calculating the initial velocity of a basketball thrown into the air.