Finding instantaneous velocity of objects in projectile motion

Pythagoras to find the magnitude of the resulting velocity.In summary, to find the instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds for a projectile with no air resistance, use the equations for vertical and horizontal motion to find the components of velocity at that time. Then, use Pythagoras to find the magnitude of the resulting velocity.
Suzan

Homework Statement

No air resitance
Initial speed 8 m/s
inst. time at 3 s

Find instantaneous velocity at 3s.

Components of displacement:
dx= 24
dy= 44

Homework Equations

d=v1t+(1/2)a(t)^2 or other kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the components of the velocity using the components of the displacement (d/t=v). But both my answer and angle of direction were wrong. How do i do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suzan said:

Homework Statement

No air resitance
Initial speed 8 m/s
inst. time at 3 s

Find instantaneous velocity at 3s.

Components of displacement:
dx= 24
dy= 44

So dx and dy are those values at t=3?
If so consider Vertical motion:
[itex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]

where u is the initial vertical velocity. Sub t=3 in there and get u. and well you know how to get the horizontal component (v=d/t as you stated before)

I would first clarify the context of the problem. Is this a theoretical question or based on a real-world scenario? If it is a theoretical question, I would assume that the object is moving in a straight line without any external forces, and the initial velocity of 8 m/s is in the same direction as the displacement. In this case, the instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds would also be 8 m/s.

However, if this is based on a real-world scenario, I would need more information to accurately determine the instantaneous velocity. For example, the angle of direction and any external forces such as gravity or air resistance would need to be taken into account. In this case, I would use the kinematics equations to solve for the instantaneous velocity at 3 seconds.

To address the issue of your incorrect answer and angle of direction, I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct equations and units. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the situation to better understand the components of velocity and displacement. If you are still having trouble, I recommend seeking assistance from your teacher or a tutor.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and moves through the air under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that is influenced by both horizontal and vertical forces.

What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. It is the rate of change of an object's position at that instant and is represented by a vector quantity with magnitude and direction.

How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

The instantaneous velocity of an object in projectile motion can be calculated using the formula v= u + at, where v is the instantaneous velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed since the object was launched.

Is instantaneous velocity the same as average velocity?

No, instantaneous velocity and average velocity are not the same. Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time.

What factors can affect the instantaneous velocity of an object in projectile motion?

The instantaneous velocity of an object in projectile motion can be affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other external factors such as wind and air pressure can also impact the velocity of the object.