Finding intercepts of the hyperbola (x-1)²/9-(y+2)²/25=1

  • Thread starter Thread starter aisha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hyperbola
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
aisha
Messages
584
Reaction score
0
:cry: [tex]\frac {(x-1)^2} {9} - \frac {(y+2)^2} {25} = 1[/tex]

I think this is a vertical hyperbola
with center (1,-2) a=5 b=3

Transversal length=10
Conjugate length =6

Vertex (1,-7) and (1,3)
Foci (1,sqrt(34)-2) and (1,-sqrt(34)-2)
Asymptotes y+2=5/3(x-1) and y+2=-5/3 (x-1)

I don't know if all these values are correct I need to find the intercepts if there are any can someone show me how?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you need to find the intercepts set x and y equal to zero and solve for the other point in each case. That's if you want to find the points (0,y) and (x,0)

EDIT: Just to clarify, I meant you need set each variable equal to zero to find the intercepts separately, not at once.

[tex]\frac {(0-1)^2} {9} - \frac {(y+2)^2} {25} = 1[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac {(x-1)^2} {9} - \frac {(0+2)^2} {25} = 1[/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I set y=0 I got x=-7 or x=7
But when I set x=0 and solved for y I didnt get something as simple as x maybe I did something wrong, I think there are no y-intercepts am I correct?
When I solve for y with x=0 I get an imaginary number
 
Sketch the graph and think analytically about if there will be a x or y intercept. You have all of the information needed to draw the graph.
 
Are all of my features correct? can someone please check!
 
The ones I checked looked ok, I didn't look at them all though. Your center, transverse length, and conjugate length are correct. Show me where you think you messed up.
 
for the yintercept I got

y=+- Sqrt(-200) -2

when I set x=0 and solved for y. Are my x-intercepts correct? Can you check my foci vertices and asymptotes too.
 
Nitpick: instead of saying "a=5, b=3", you should state to what those variables actually refer.

This particular example is particularly important, because a lot of people (meaning me!) will immediately think of the usual form: [itex](x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1[/itex].
 
I think I've made a huge mistake all of the features should be for the horizontal hyperbola not vertical hyperbola, right?
 
indeed, it is a horizontal hyperbola (if by horizontal, you mean opens sideways).
 
I have changed all my features but still having problems solving for the x-intercepts please help me what do i do with the denominators?

[tex]\frac {(x-1)^2} {9} - 4/25=1[/tex]

[tex]\frac {(x-1)^2} {9}=21/25[/tex]

I don't know what to do with the 9 what is the final answer?
 
Multiply by 9 and you get:

[tex](x-1)^2 = \frac{21}{25}*9[/tex]
[tex]x - 1 = \sqrt {\frac{21}{25}*9}[/tex]
[tex]x = \sqrt {\frac{21}{25}*9} + 1[/tex]

Is this what you were having trouble with?
 
mulpliply both sides by 9... bu what you actually mean is

[tex]\frac{(x-1)^2}{9} - \frac{4}{25} = 1 \Longrightarrow \frac{(x-1)^2}{9} = \frac{29}{25}[/tex]

so you can then just say

[tex](x-1)^2 = 9\frac{29}{25} \Longrightarrow x-1 = \pm\frac{3\sqrt{29}}{5} \Longrightarrow x = 1 \pm \frac{3\sqrt{29}}{5}[/tex]