1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding inverse of non-linear transformation

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    Find the inverse of the (nonlinear) transformation from R^2 to R^2 given by

3. The attempt at a solution

- I'm really not sure what to do on this problem. We haven't seen any problems even similar to it in class, so I'm looking for help on it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So y= u/3. Put that into the second equation: v= 3x^7- 6(u/3)= 3x^7- 2u.
    Solve that for x.

4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    well, that was much easier than I thought it would be. Can you explain to me why that is the inverse?
  5. Apr 1, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you think an inverse is? You had u= 3y, v= 3x^7- 6y and you said the answer must be in the form x=, y= . I reduce the two equation to that form, solving for x and y.

Perhaps more specifically, if you start with (x, y) and apply the original tranform, you get (3y, 3x^7 - 6y). Now what happens if you apply the tranformation x= ((v+2u)/3)^(1/7, y= u/3? Since u= 3y, the second gives y= (3y)/3= y immediately. Since u= 3y and v= 3x^7- 6y, the x= ((3x^7- 6y+ 2(3y))/3)^(1/7)= ((3x^7/3)^(1/7)= (x^7)^(1/7)= x.
    That's what an inverse is supposed to do.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?