1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding largest angle - mechanics

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The two homogeneous bars AB and BC are connected with a pin at B and placed between rough vertical walls. If the coefficient of static friction between each bar and the wall is 0.4, determine the largest angle θ for which the assembly will remain at rest.

http://screensnapr.com/e/vU9M3X.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

summation of forces among horizontal
    summation of forces among vertical
    summation of forces - point
    3. The attempt at a solution

so i use the fbd of the whole body, and take summation of forces on x axis, and i got Na = Nc (normal at point a is equal to point c). then, i take summation of forces on y axis, so thats

Fa - 6N -8N +Fb = 0 (where fa and fb are friction forces on a and b), and since fa = fb (their normals are equal), i use f = uN and yielded Na = 17.5 N.

I then take summation of moments at point B( bar of A to B) and heres eqn

(6)(300)(cos(x)) - 17.5 (600)(cos(x)) + 7(600)(sin(x)) = 0 and

the value of angle is 64 degress. the book says 10 degress. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The bars are not fixed together, but connected with a pin, they can turn around. Write out the conditions for equilibrium for both.
    The force of friction is static, so you can not say that fa=fb. It is only true that neither of them can exceed 0.4 times the normal force.

ehild

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would not like to waste this problem...

The equation is correct for the resultant of all vertical components, but the forces of static friction are not the same: Fa is not equal to Fb. The force of static friction can not exceed the maximum value, so Fa, Fb ≤μN and the greater one is equal to it.

The bars can turn around B with respect to each other, so the torques must be balanced separately for both. If L is the length of the rods, the sum of torques on the left rod is

NLsinθ+6L/2 cosθ-Fa Lcosθ=0 => Ntan(θ)=Fa-3, Fa=Ntan(θ)+3

The equation for the right rod is

NLsinθ+8L/2 cosθ-Fb Lcosθ=0 => Ntan(θ)=Fb-4, Fb=Ntan(θ)+4

That means Fa<Fb≤0.4N. Taking Fb equal to 0.4N, Ntan(θ)+4=0.4N,

N(0.4-tan(θ))=4

The equation for vertical force components yields Fa+Fb=14. Plugging in Fa and Fb:

Ntan(θ)+3+Ntan(θ)+4=14 =>2N tan(θ)=7

Solve the equations in bold for θ.

ehild

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook