1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Friction and Incline for a Car

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    jkMNHCG.png

2. Relevant equations
    friction:
    f = μN
    incline angle: θ = arctan(1/10)
    summation of forces in y: N - mgcosθ = 0
    summation of forces in x: -f - mgsinθ = ma (?????)

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this problem, I set the x-axis going up the incline and the y-axis normal to said x-axis. When I drew the FBD, the part that did not make sense to me was the summation of forces in the x-axis. The question wants the car to accelerate UP the incline, but the two forces I draw for the FBD both point down the incline. One of the forces is the x-component of the weight, mgsinθ, and the other is the friction. I know the weight's x-component direction is right, so the wildcard is the friction. Isn't friction opposite to the direction of motion?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2
    I just had a thought... is friction the force which drives the car forward? The wheels spin in the negative x-direction (with respect to the ground) so the friction points to the positive x-direction. If that were the case it would make a lot of sense!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted