Finding Lengths of Springs with Three Identical Masses

  • Thread starter Thread starter Moninder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Springs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 12K views
Moninder
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Three identical 6.00kg masses are hung by three identical springs, as shown in the figure. Each spring has a force constant of 8.50kN/m and was 11.0cm long before any masses were attached to it. How long is each spring when hanging as shown? (Hint: First isolate only the bottom mass. Then treat the bottom two masses as a system. Finally, treat all three masses as a system.)

Homework Equations


F=-ma
F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution


I started with the bottom block.
-ma=-kx
(6.00kgx9.8m/s^2)/-(8.50kN/m)=x
x=6.92m? and then i added 0.11m
and its still wrong
I also took the F=ma and divided by 1000 to get into(0.0588) kN and then divided it by 8.50kN and then dded .11m and still wrong

I need to find all three block eventually
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is how it is from top to bottom
Ceiling
-
spring
-
block
-
spring
-
block
-
spring
-
block
 
Moninder said:

Homework Statement



Three identical 6.00kg masses are hung by three identical springs, as shown in the figure. Each spring has a force constant of 8.50kN/m and was 11.0cm long before any masses were attached to it. How long is each spring when hanging as shown? (Hint: First isolate only the bottom mass. Then treat the bottom two masses as a system. Finally, treat all three masses as a system.)

Homework Equations


F=-ma
F=-kx


The Attempt at a Solution



I also took the F=ma and divided by 1000 to get into(0.0588) kN and then divided it by 8.50kN and then dded .11m and still wrong

What was your answer from doing the calculation this way, and how do you know it was wrong?
 
For the bottom spring I got 0.1169m
Middle Spring 0.3376m
Top spring 0.35075m

I put it in an online program
 
Moninder said:
I started with the bottom block.
-ma=-kx
(6.00kgx9.8m/s^2)/-(8.50kN/m)=x
x=6.92m?
Note that the spring constant is in kN/m, not N/m.
 
Doc Al said:
Note that the spring constant is in kN/m, not N/m.

Yes I know, check my 3 answers i posted, they are with converting the kN
 
Moninder said:
For the bottom spring I got 0.1169m
Looks OK.
Middle Spring 0.3376m
Top spring 0.35075m
Show how you got these last two.
 
Doc Al said:
Looks OK.

Show how you got these last two.

I added the weights together
Mg=kx
((6+6)9.8)/(8500N/m) + .22 m =middle spring
Top spring
((6+6+6)9.8)/(8500N/m) + 0.33m
 
Moninder said:
I added the weights together
Mg=kx
((6+6)9.8)/(8500N/m) + .22 m =middle spring
Top spring
((6+6+6)9.8)/(8500N/m) + 0.33m
Ah... But they all start with an unstretched length of 0.11m.
 
Doc Al said:
Ah... But they all start with an unstretched length of 0.11m.

Yes, i did add in the unstrecthed length?
 
Moninder said:
Yes, i did add in the unstrecthed length?
For the middle spring you added in twice the unstretched length; for the top spring you added three times the unstretched length.

Each spring has a total length equal to its unstretched length (0.11m for each) plus the amount of stretch (which varies).
 
Why would i not add in 2 lengths because the middle spring is also carrying the bottom spring
 
Moninder said:
Why would i not add in 2 lengths because the middle spring is also carrying the bottom spring
How does that affect its unstretched length?
 
Oh now i get it, i should just only add in 1 unstrecthed length because I am only calculating for 1 spring
 
Moninder said:
Oh now i get it, i should just only add in 1 unstrecthed length because I am only calculating for 1 spring
Right.