Three identical blocks connected by ideal strings, Find Horizontal F

In summary, the problem involves three identical blocks with different masses connected by strings and being pulled with a constant velocity of 2.5 m/s on a frictionless surface. The horizontal force required for this motion is 0 N. However, if an acceleration of 1.5 m/s^2 is applied, the horizontal force is found to be 106 N. To find the tension, it is important to consider which system to analyze and account for all external forces.
khem student

Homework Statement

Three identical blocks connected by ideal strings are being pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force. The masses of the three blocks are 15.1kg , 19.8kg , and 36.0kg , Answer the following questions concerning the motion of the blocks.
1. If the blocks move across the horizontal frictionless surface with a constant velocity of 2.5 m/s, what is the horizontal force?

What I don't understand is that the blocks are listed as Identical but all vary in weight.

Homework Equations

Image is attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Force = mass * gravity otherwise known as 9.81 m/s^2
and I know that if I divide the velocity 2.5 m/s by time it will = mass
I know time= distance/velocity, but no distance is given, so what formula do I use to solve for horizontal force in this situation?
Typically A=B,B=C,C=A if they are all identical blocks, but here the weights vary among the blocks so how would that be taken into account.
The prof tends not to explain the process and just assigns the work...

Attachments

• PHYSICS.jpg
    PHYSICS.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 839
Physics news on Phys.org
khem student said:
What I don't understand is that the blocks are listed as Identical but all vary in weight.
That is certainly odd. Just imagine that they are the same size and shape, but have different masses.

I know Force = mass * gravity otherwise known as 9.81 m/s^2
That gives the weight of a given mass. That may or may not be relevant to this problem.

and I know that if I divide the velocity 2.5 m/s by time it will = mass
Not sure why you think that.

I know time= distance/velocity, but no distance is given, so what formula do I use to solve for horizontal force in this situation?
Typically A=B,B=C,C=A if they are all identical blocks, but here the weights vary among the blocks so how would that be taken into account.
Hint: This is something of a trick question. What net force is required for an object to have a constant velocity?

khem student said:
1. If the blocks move across the horizontal frictionless surface with a constant velocity of 2.5 m/s, what is the horizontal force?
Are you sure that the problem doesn't state constant acceleration (in m/s^2) instead of constant velocity?

Are you sure that the problem doesn't state constant acceleration (in m/s^2) instead of constant velocity?

yes, I am sure it says velocity.

Hint: This is something of a trick question. What net force is required for an object to have a constant velocity?

There is no net force when velocity is constant due to Newton's law, an object in motion continues in that motion unless acted on by an external force.
So does that mean the horizontal force would be = 0 N, because the velocity is constant?

khem student said:
There is no net force when velocity is constant due to Newton's law, an object in motion continues in that motion unless acted on by an external force.
So does that mean the horizontal force would be = 0 N, because the velocity is constant?
Exactly.

It is 0 N! Thank You! I wasn't sure.
Now if an acceleration of 1.5 m/s^2 is applied, how do you find force?
would a variation of the equation a= (Net Force/mass) be valid for this problem?
and if so would i add together the total weight of all blocks and solve or attempt to do them all individually then add the sums together?

khem student said:
It is 0 N! Thank You! I wasn't sure.
Good.

Now if an acceleration of 1.5 m/s^2 is applied, how do you find force?
By using Newton's 2nd law.

would a variation of the equation a= (Net Force/mass) be valid for this problem?
Sure. That's another statement of ƩF = ma.

and if so would i add together the total weight of all blocks and solve or attempt to do them all individually then add the sums together?
Careful! You're not adding weights, but perhaps the masses.

You can apply Newton's 2nd law in many ways. You can choose to treat all three masses as a single system, which may be the smart thing to do here. Or you can treat each mass separately, making sure to account for the tensions in the strings. (I suspect you'll be asked about those tensions shortly.)

Okay that did work at 106 N.
Now to find Tension if the acceleration 1.5 m/s^2!
the total weight is 70.9 kg
so i did (70.9*1.5)+(70.9*9.8)=801.2 N for Tension but got it wrong?

oops! yes the total mass is 70.9

I also tried (70.90)(1.5+9.8) and got the same answer.
I don't know what I am doing wrong.

khem student said:
Okay that did work at 106 N.
Good. To find the applied force F, you took all three masses as a single system.

Now to find Tension if the acceleration 1.5 m/s^2!
the total weight is 70.9 kg
so i did (70.9*1.5)+(70.9*9.8)=801.2 N for Tension but got it wrong?
You need to pick a system where the tension is an external force. There are several choices.

For instance: Why not analyze the forces on that third block?

it was a rounding error, thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

khem student said:
it was a rounding error, thank you for your help! I appreciate it!
What was a rounding error? Your answer for the tension was way off!

1. What are "three identical blocks connected by ideal strings"?

Three identical blocks connected by ideal strings refers to a physics problem in which three blocks are connected by strings, with no mass or friction, and are being pulled horizontally by an external force. This setup is often used to illustrate concepts of equilibrium and tension in a system.

2. How do you find the horizontal force in this system?

To find the horizontal force, also known as the tension force, in this system, you would use the equation F = ma, where F is the tension force, m is the mass of the blocks, and a is the acceleration of the system. By solving for F, you can determine the horizontal force acting on the blocks.

3. What is the significance of the blocks being identical in this problem?

The fact that the blocks are identical means that they have the same mass and are experiencing the same forces. This allows for simplification of the problem and makes it easier to analyze and solve using equations.

4. What are ideal strings and why are they relevant in this problem?

Ideal strings are theoretical strings with no mass or friction, meaning that they do not affect the motion of the blocks. They are relevant in this problem because they allow for a simplified model of the system, making it easier to understand and solve using equations.

5. Can this problem be applied to real-life situations?

While the setup of three identical blocks connected by ideal strings may not occur in real-life situations, the concepts and equations used to solve this problem can be applied to various scenarios involving systems in equilibrium and tension forces. For example, a similar setup could be used to analyze the forces acting on a pulley system.