1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Limit as x-> 0 of sin and cos equation

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1

Bro

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    lim (-x + sin(sinx))/(x(-1 + cos(sinx)))
    x-> 0

2. Relevant equations
    sinθ/θ=1 as θ-> 0
    Squeeze Theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I've tried doing L'Hopital's rule, but to no avail. Each subsequent derivative just makes the equation nastier and more convoluted.
    Eg. lim d/dx(-x + sin(sinx))/d/dx(x(-1 + cos(sinx)))=-1 + cosx(cos(sinx))/(-1 + cos(sinx) - xcosx(sin(sinx)))=the next one is even longer and nothing jumps out at me for a possible solution.
    I've also attempted to rewrite the equation but again to no avail.
    I've also thought about squeeze theorem, but don't know how to apply it here.
    Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Keep going till you stop getting 0/0. It will crack at the third derivative.

4. Feb 13, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As long as you're careful you can simplify some before proceeding.
    cos(sin(x)) is going to be very much like cos(x). The discrepancy is of order x4.
    In the denominator, the leading term of -1 + cos(sinx) is O(x2). You can throw away all higher order terms in the denominator, and as long as the result is not zero the simplification is justified.

5. Feb 13, 2014 #4

Bro

Ok, but what is O?

6. Feb 13, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's "big O" notation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation. E.g. in the Taylor expansion sin(x) = x - x3/3! + ... we can write sin(x) = x + O(x3). That is, sin(x) is like x plus terms of order x3 and beyond (for small x).
    In the present problem x will go to zero. If the numerator can be reduced to Axn+O(xn+1) then as x approaches the limit we can simplify it to Axn. The xn+1 and beyond terms will become irrelevant. Likewise the denominator.

7. Feb 13, 2014 #6

Bro

Alright perfect. Thank you both for your help!

8. Feb 14, 2014 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Taylor series applied judiciously gives a quick solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted