1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Linear Transformation that will remove cross product term.

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a linear transofmration from X={x1,x2,x3} to U={u1,u2,u3} which will remove the cross product term in the quadratic form of equation 2X12+4X22+5X32-4X1X3
    and thus write the resulting quadratic form in u1,u2,u3.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea at the moment. I presume that the 4x1x3 term is the term that I need to have disappear, but other than that, I can sure use some help. Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Let
    [tex]\vec{x}=\begin{pmatrix}x_1\\x_2\\x_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    Find the matrix A such that
    [tex]\vec{x}^\mathrm{T} A \vec{x} = 2x_1^2+4x_2^2+5x_3^2-4x_1x_3[/tex]
    You want to diagonalize this matrix.

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    Hello vela.
    Thanks for the reply!
    The problem actually gave a matrix for a previous part so just diagonalizing it solved the problem fairly easily. However, if there are no given matrix, how would I find the matrix?

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try a 2x2 example. Calculate
    [tex]\begin{pmatrix} x & y \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    Compare it to [itex]Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2[/itex]. What values would you choose for a, b, c, and d to get the coefficients A, B, and C? Note that you're shooting for a symmetric matrix. Can you generalize this to the 3x3 case?

6. Jun 30, 2011 #5
    I see. I understood it now! Thanks a lot for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook