Finding magnetic susceptibility of a quantum gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bhaubhau
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


H=H[tex]_{0}[/tex] -g[tex]\mu[/tex]SB
H[tex]_{0}[/tex] = hamiltonian in absence of field
S=Spin operator in the direction of the fied (say along z-axis)

show that
1) M=1/[tex]\beta[/tex] (dLn Z/ dB)

2) [tex]\chi[/tex] = [tex]\beta[/tex](g [tex]\mu[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex] <(S-<S>)[tex]^{}2[/tex]>

Dont know why it shows[tex]\mu[/tex] in superscript. It isn't meant to be!
That is the chemical potential.

Homework Equations


Canonical partition function for a grand ensemble is
Z=Tr{exp(-[tex]\beta[/tex](H-[tex]\mu[/tex]N)}




The Attempt at a Solution



I know that M=g[tex]\mu[/tex]<S>

I don't know how to go about differentiating Ln Z w.r.t B

For the second part, I used the given result and differentiated it w.r.t B again.
I get [tex]\beta[/tex]times some junk! I can't get to the required result. I have a feeling its very poor math on my part. Any leads from here on would be well received.
 
Physics news on Phys.org