Finding magnitude and angle of vector (4.0m, -3.0m)

  • Thread starter Thread starter dakar76
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnitude
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
dakar76
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Problem: The vector A = (4.0meters)i + (-3.0meters)j
Find a) its magnitude and b) its angle in relation to i.

Question: I know magnitude is a scalar but don't know what I am really trying to find in this problem. Am I looking for the direct point from the start of i to the end of j? Do I just need to use the pythagoream therom to find the magnitude.
To find its angle do I just need to use tangent?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dakar76 said:
Problem: The vector A = (4.0meters)i + (-3.0meters)j
Find a) its magnitude and b) its angle in relation to i.

Question: I know magnitude is a scalar but don't know what I am really trying to find in this problem. Am I looking for the direct point from the start of i to the end of j? Do I just need to use the pythagoream therom to find the magnitude.
To find its angle do I just need to use tangent?

Welcome to the PF. Yes on Pythagoream theorem for magnitude. What trig function can you use to find the angle?

If you still have problems, just go to wikipedia and look for info on converting vectors between rectangular and polar forms.