Finding Magnitude and Direction of Force on a Charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 7K views
cheerspens
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Three charges are arranged as shown in the picture I attached. Find the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin.

Homework Equations


I know that Coulomb's Law must be applied.

The Attempt at a Solution


I've drawn a force diagram with FCB pointing to the left and FAB pointing down. I've also broke the vectors into components using Coulomb's Law and added them together. By doing this, I got 2.7 x 10-5 [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 0 [itex]\hat{y}[/itex]. From here what do I do to get an answer?

I know the answer is supposed to be 1.38 x 10-5 at 77.5 degrees so I need help with how to get there.
 
Attachments
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 680
Physics news on Phys.org
cheerspens said:
I've drawn a force diagram with FCB pointing to the left and FAB pointing down. I've also broke the vectors into components using Coulomb's Law and added them together. By doing this, I got 2.7 x 10-5 [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 0 [itex]\hat{y}[/itex].
You must have made a mistake, since the resultant must have a component in the y direction. Show how you computed FCB and FAB.
 
FCB=[(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][cos 180][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] + [(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][sin 180][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]

FAB=[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][cos 270][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] +[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][sin 270][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]
 
cheerspens said:
FCB=[(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][cos 180][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] + [(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][sin 180][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]

FAB=[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][cos 270][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] +[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][sin 270][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]
OK, now simplify these results by evaluating those trig functions.
 
I did and that's how I got 2.7x10-9[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 0[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]
Was my set up right and I went wrong somewhere in the math? I was always thinking I set it up wrong or wasn't using the right values.
 
sin(180) = 0
cos(180) = -1
sin(270) = -1
cos(270)=0
 
cheerspens said:
sin(180) = 0
cos(180) = -1
sin(270) = -1
cos(270)=0
Good. Now simplify your equations in post #3 accordingly.
 
What's the point of incorporating Trig functions? If you compute them individually then you get two separate forces, one along the y-axis and one along the x axis. Remember also that the force between charges A and B is repulsive, so the force you drew downwards is meant to be upwards.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lobezno said:
What's the point of incorporating Trig functions? If you compute them individually then you get two separate forces, one along the y-axis and one along the x axis.
While you don't need to use trig functions, there's nothing wrong with using them.
Remember also that the force between charges A and B is repulsive, so the force you drew downwards is meant to be upwards.
Charges A and B are oppositely charged, thus the force is attractive.