Finding Magnitude and Direction using Component Method?

For vector B: Can you calculate |B|, the magnitude of B?Can you calculate the angle which vector B makes with the +x-axis?For vector C: Can you calculate |C|, the magnitude of C?Can you calculate the angle which vector C makes with the +x-axis?In summary, using the component method, we can determine the magnitude and direction of vectors D and E. For vector D, the magnitude is ___ m and the angle from the +x-axis is ___°. For vector E, the magnitude is ___ m and the angle from the +x-axis is ___°.
OUmecheng

Homework Statement

Consider the three displacement vectors A = ( -2i + 3j ) m, B = ( 2i + 7j ) m, and C = ( -7i + 5j ) m. Use the component method to determine the following.

(a) The magnitude and direction of D = A + B + C
|D| = ___ m
θ = ___° (from the +x axis)

(b) The magnitude and direction of E = -A - B + C

|D| = ___ m

θ = __° (from the +x axis)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
OUmecheng said:

Homework Statement

Consider the three displacement vectors A = ( -2i + 3j ) m, B = ( 2i + 7j ) m, and C = ( -7i + 5j ) m. Use the component method to determine the following.

(a) The magnitude and direction of D = A + B + C
|D| = ___ m
θ = ___° (from the +x axis)

(b) The magnitude and direction of E = -A - B + C

|D| = ___ m

θ = __° (from the +x axis)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin.

Can you find the components of vector D?

For vector A:

Can you calculate |A|, the magnitude of A?

Can you calculate the angle which vector A make with the +x-axis?

1. What is the component method used for?

The component method is used to find the magnitude and direction of a vector by breaking it down into its horizontal and vertical components.

2. How is the component method different from the graphical method?

The graphical method uses a scale diagram to represent a vector's magnitude and direction, while the component method uses trigonometric functions to calculate the vector's components.

3. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of a vector using the component method?

The formula for finding the magnitude of a vector using the component method is M = √(x² + y²), where M is the magnitude, x is the horizontal component, and y is the vertical component.

4. How do you find the direction of a vector using the component method?

To find the direction of a vector using the component method, you can use the inverse tangent function (tan⁻¹) to calculate the angle between the vector and the horizontal axis.

5. Can the component method be used for vectors in three dimensions?

Yes, the component method can be extended to three dimensions by breaking the vector down into its x, y, and z components and using the formula M = √(x² + y² + z²) to find the magnitude.