Using Component Method to Add Vectors

I see that I forgot to convert the angle to radians. The correct answer is $A + B = (3.02)i + (3.12)j$. In summary, when using the component method to add vectors A and B with magnitudes of 3.55 m and an angle of $θ = 28.5°$ for vector A, the resultant A + B can be expressed in unit-vector notation as (3.02)i + (3.12)j.
shamieh
Use the component method to add the vectors A and B shown in the figure. Both vectors have magnitudes of 3.55 m and vector A makes an angle of
$θ = 28.5°$ with the x axis. Express the resultant A + B in unit-vector notation.

I don't understand how my answer is wrong.

Isn't it $A + B = (3.12)i + (1.69)j $ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Use the component method to add the vectors A and B shown in the figure. Both vectors have magnitudes of 3.55 m and vector A makes an angle of
$θ = 28.5°$ with the x axis. Express the resultant A + B in unit-vector notation.

I don't understand how my answer is wrong.

Isn't it $A + B = (3.12)i + (1.69)j $ ?
Seeing as we don't know what vector B is we cannot help you much.

-Dan

Ahh, nevermind, re-working

1. What is the component method for adding vectors?

The component method is a mathematical approach to adding vectors, which involves breaking down each vector into its horizontal and vertical components and then adding them separately.

2. Why use the component method instead of the graphical method?

The component method is more accurate and efficient than the graphical method, as it allows for precise calculations and can be used for vectors in any direction.

3. How do you find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector?

To find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The horizontal component is equal to the vector's magnitude multiplied by the cosine of its angle, and the vertical component is equal to the vector's magnitude multiplied by the sine of its angle.

4. Can the component method be used for more than two vectors?

Yes, the component method can be used for any number of vectors. Each vector can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components, and then all the components can be added together to find the resultant vector.

5. How is the direction of the resultant vector determined using the component method?

The direction of the resultant vector is determined by finding the inverse tangent of the vertical component divided by the horizontal component. This will give the angle of the resultant vector in relation to the horizontal axis.