Finding mass enclosed my a stars radius from center.

In summary: So, the equation we're looking for is:v = (\frac{GM(r)}{R})^{1/2}where M is the mass within the radius R and G is the gravitational constant.In summary, we can use the equation v = (\frac{GM(r)}{R})^{1/2} to find the rotational speed of a star in the disk of the Galaxy at a distance of 12Kpc from the center, given that the sun rotates at a distance of 8Kpc and a speed of 220km/s.
seto6
[urgent] finding mass enclosed my a stars radius from center.

Homework Statement

the rotational speed of an orbiting object is given by v= (Gm/R)^1/2where R is distance at which the object is rotating from the center of the mass distribution and M is the amount of mass within the radius R. for the distribution in a disk, the mass enclosed increases with R^2. the sun rotates in the ids of the Galaxy at distance of 8Kpc and a speed of 220km/s find the rotational speed of a star in the disk that is located at a distance of 12Kpc from the center of Galaxy.

i have no clue how to do this question. it was on my quiz but didn't know how to do. i really need help.

Homework Equations

the equation is given in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no clue how to start this.
i tried using v is proportional to M/R but it does not work

Physics news on Phys.org

Please help, i would greatly appreciated, i have a exam tomorrow, please.

seto6 said:

Homework Statement

the rotational speed of an orbiting object is given by v= (Gm/R)^1/2where R is distance at which the object is rotating from the center of the mass distribution and M is the amount of mass within the radius R. for the distribution in a disk, the mass enclosed increases with R^2. the sun rotates in the ids of the Galaxy at distance of 8Kpc and a speed of 220km/s find the rotational speed of a star in the disk that is located at a distance of 12Kpc from the center of Galaxy.

i have no clue how to do this question. it was on my quiz but didn't know how to do. i really need help.

Homework Equations

the equation is given in the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no clue how to start this.

Here's my take:

Why not try a ratio?

[tex] \frac{v}{v_{sun}} = (\frac{GM(r)}{R})^{1/2}(\frac{R_{sun}}{GM(r)})^{1/2}
\rightarrow v = v_{sun}(\frac{R_{sun}}{R}} )^{1/2} [/tex]

Ratios are always good in astronomy.

But v is not proportional to M/R, it is proportional to [tex] (\frac{M}{R})^{1/2} [/tex] since it was given in the problem that [tex]
v = (\frac{GM(r)}{R})^{1/2} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. How is mass enclosed by a star's radius from the center determined?

The mass enclosed by a star's radius from the center is determined by measuring the gravitational pull of the star at different distances from its center. This can be done using techniques such as radial velocity measurements or studying the orbits of objects around the star.

2. Can the mass enclosed by a star's radius change over time?

Yes, the mass enclosed by a star's radius can change over time due to processes such as nuclear fusion, which converts mass into energy. As a star ages and burns through its fuel, its mass may decrease, thus changing the mass enclosed by its radius.

3. How does the mass enclosed by a star's radius affect its evolution?

The mass enclosed by a star's radius is a critical factor in determining its evolution. A star with a larger mass will have a shorter lifespan and will undergo more violent reactions, such as supernovae, compared to a star with a smaller mass.

4. Is there a limit to how much mass can be enclosed by a star's radius?

Yes, there is a limit known as the Chandrasekhar limit, which is approximately 1.4 times the mass of the Sun. If a star exceeds this limit, it will collapse and become a neutron star or black hole.

5. How is the mass enclosed by a star's radius related to its luminosity?

The mass enclosed by a star's radius plays a significant role in determining its luminosity. Generally, the more massive a star is, the more luminous it will be. This is because a larger mass means more fuel for nuclear fusion, resulting in a brighter and more energetic star.