1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding mass enclosed my a stars radius from center.

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    [urgent] finding mass enclosed my a stars radius from center.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the rotational speed of an orbiting object is given by v= (Gm/R)^1/2where R is distance at which the object is rotating from the center of the mass distribution and M is the amount of mass within the radius R. for the distribution in a disk, the mass enclosed increases with R^2. the sun rotates in the ids of the Galaxy at distance of 8Kpc and a speed of 220km/s find the rotational speed of a star in the disk that is located at a distance of 12Kpc from the center of Galaxy.

i have no clue how to do this question. it was on my quiz but didn't know how to do. i really need help.

2. Relevant equations

the equation is given in the question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have no clue how to start this.
    i tried using v is proportional to M/R but it does not work

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    Re: [urgent] finding mass enclosed my a stars radius from center.

Please help, i would greatly appreciated, i have a exam tomorrow, please.

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    Re: [urgent] finding mass enclosed my a stars radius from center.

Here's my take:

Why not try a ratio?

[tex] \frac{v}{v_{sun}} = (\frac{GM(r)}{R})^{1/2}(\frac{R_{sun}}{GM(r)})^{1/2}
    \rightarrow v = v_{sun}(\frac{R_{sun}}{R}} )^{1/2} [/tex]

Ratios are always good in astronomy.

But v is not proportional to M/R, it is proportional to [tex] (\frac{M}{R})^{1/2} [/tex] since it was given in the problem that [tex]
    v = (\frac{GM(r)}{R})^{1/2} [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook