1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mass given force and acceleration

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    a lift ascends with a uniform acceleration of 2m/s^2 whilst transporting a woman. Calculate her mass if the force exerted on her from the floor was 945N.

ANS: 80KG

I have tried F = MA

M = F/A = 945/2 = 472.5

Inertia may have been taken into account but is this possible without being given the mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I hate elevator questions; very tricky!
    You have the upward force of 945 N on the lady.
    But you forgot gravity also has a grip on her.
    Include that, and you will get the 80 kg!

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    I hate them too! how do i include gravity in there? It would usually be the product of her mass and 9.81 but im not given her mass

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Write it as mg. You'll have two m's in your F = ma equation but it is not a big problem to collect them as like terms in a linear equation. This is an important idea: write it out even if it strikes you as unsolvable - once it appears in front of you in a mathematical form, a whole different thought process in your mind takes over and often the difficulties disappear.

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    945 - mg - ma = 0
    g + a x m = 945
    9.81 + 2 x m = 945
    m = 945/11.81 = 80kg
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook