1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mass of glucose in standard solutions

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is for an experiment that separates sugars in a sample using TLC.
    We are given a glucose standard solution with a concentration of 1mg/ml as well as 3 standard sugar solutions (glucose, fructose and maltose) all with the same concentration (10mg/ml) in 10% v/v isopropanol)

We are asked to find μg of glucose (reducing sugar) in each of the standards.

2. Relevant equations
    I don't think there are any equations, just conversions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Convert the mg/ml to μg/ml or to μg/μl
    But I'm not sure if I'm overthinking it or if it's the way the question is worded because it's worth only 1 mark.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Hard to say anything not knowing how the question is worded. From your description it can be anything and everything.

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3
    We're given a juice sample and we use thin layer chromatography to identify the sugars in there. They gave us the concentrations of the standard sugar solutions and we were asked to find the μg of glucose (the reducing sugar) in each of the standards. They said to refer to the glucose concentration given to us which was 1 mg/ml. The concentration of the standards were 10 mg/ml though.

5. Nov 26, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

From what you wrote there is no glucose in the other standard solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook