1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given percent composition, find mass per litre of solution

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 15% by mass solution has a density of 1.2 g/mL. What is the mass per liter concentration of this solution?
    → (a) 180 g/L (this is the answer, pretend you don't know)
    (b) 150 g/L
    (c) 125 g/L
    (d) cannot be determined from this information
    2. Relevant equations
    Density
    Possibly percent composition
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know g/L.
    D=m/v
    I assume 15% of the solution is 15g (This is clearly not the case, or I wouldn't be here)
    1.2=15/v
    v=12.5mL
    Convert mL to L
    15g/0.0125mL
    1200g/L <---Not even on the answer list, and sounds unreasonable anyway

Without straight telling me the answer, how does one approach a question such as this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

It's not the best problem in my opinion because the solution has a mass of 1200 g per liter, and if you subtract out the material that was dissolved, you have presumably what is water (when you are given a solution and the material is unspecified, water is usually implied), that must have a density that is at least 1020 grams per liter, and the volume might even be slightly less than a liter. (Sometimes the dissolved material will add volume. When it is removed, the volume could decrease.) 15% by mass of 1200 grams is 180 grams. I guess it is also fair to assume that the solution is not a water solution. Anyway, to help you with your calculations, there are 1000 ml (milliliters) in a liter. To do a percentage, you divide by 100. e.g. for 15%, its fractional value is 15/100=0.15.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. May 15, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem statement clearly says the density of the solution is 1.2 g/mL. Don't you know that 1000 mL = 1 L?
    This is the mass per liter of solution. It is not the mass concentration, however.
    X% mass concentration of a solution means that:

the mass concentration per liter = the mass of 1 liter of solution * X / 100

5. May 15, 2016 #4
    Now that I think about it, my work above was kinda silly :p
    Plugging into the equation, I get 180g/L from 1200x(15/100), which is the correct answer (which is just 15% of that number).
    What is mass concentration exactly? Is it simply the the part of the solution we are looking at, which implies the rest of the solution is water/other substances?

6. May 15, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mass concentration is the amount of a substance dissolved in some sort of solute to make a solution. The solute can be water or any other liquid.

Concentration can be defined in several different ways:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration

7. May 15, 2016 #6
    The mass concentration they are looking for is the mass of solute per liter of solution.

8. May 15, 2016 #7
    Got it. Unfortunately I only get to use Molarity in my current year of chemistry, so it's good that I now know what mass concentration is. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted