Finding minimum electrostatic energy

In summary: If the distance between the spheres is much greater than their radius, then the electrostatic energy between them is negligible. Since the total energy of the system must be equal to the sum of their self energies, the minimum electrostatic energy occurs when the spheres are at the minimum distance (r1+r2) from each other.
x00m_x00m

Homework Statement

There are 2 small metal balls of radius r1 and r2 and are kept at very large distance , what should be ratio of charges on them for electrostatic energy to be minimum

Homework Equations

E=Q^2/(8πϵR)
Self Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem, electric potential must be zero since the balls are at a very large distance from each other, so I was considering the self energy of metallic spheres which is E . How to find the charge ratio for minimum electrostatic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if the spheres are far away from one another, it's safe to assume their mutual electrostatic energy will be negligible. The total energy of the system will then simply be the sum of their self energies, you just need to find the minimum of that energy. Note that the total charge of the system must be constant, [itex]q_{1}+q_{2}=Q=const.[/itex], so the expression you obtain for the total energy should be a single variable function (in this case, a function of charge) for which the minimum is easy to find.

kontejnjer said:
Well, if the spheres are far away from one another, it's safe to assume their mutual electrostatic energy will be negligible. The total energy of the system will then simply be the sum of their self energies, you just need to find the minimum of that energy. Note that the total charge of the system must be constant, [itex]q_{1}+q_{2}=Q=const.[/itex], so the expression you obtain for the total energy should be a single variable function (in this case, a function of charge) for which the minimum is easy to find.

yes i know that already but failed to find the correct ratio , what would it be ?

x00m_x00m said:
yes i know that already but failed to find the correct ratio , what would it be ?
Pls post your working.

x00m_x00m said:

Homework Statement

There are 2 small metal balls of radius r1 and r2 and are kept at very large distance , what should be ratio of charges on them for electrostatic energy to be minimum

Homework Equations

E=Q^2/(8πϵR)
Self Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem, electric potential must be zero since the balls are at a very large distance from each other, so I was considering the self energy of metallic spheres which is E . How to find the charge ratio for minimum electrostatic energy?

Electrostatic energy = work needed to bring q1 from infinity to r away from q2. What is that work?
As someone else pointed out, your constraint is that q1 + q2 = Q = constant.

x00m_x00m said:

It comes out this way I tried myself

1. What is electrostatic energy?

Electrostatic energy is the potential energy stored in a system of charges, due to their interactions with each other. It is also known as electrostatic potential energy or electric potential energy.

2. How is minimum electrostatic energy determined?

The minimum electrostatic energy of a system can be determined by finding the configuration of charges that results in the lowest potential energy. This can be done through mathematical calculations or by using computer simulations.

3. Why is finding minimum electrostatic energy important?

Finding minimum electrostatic energy is important in understanding the stability and behavior of a system of charges. It can also help in designing efficient electrical circuits and predicting the behavior of charged particles in different environments.

4. What factors affect the minimum electrostatic energy of a system?

The minimum electrostatic energy of a system is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the charges, as well as the distance between them. The presence of other external charges or conductive materials can also influence the minimum electrostatic energy.

5. Can the minimum electrostatic energy of a system be negative?

Yes, the minimum electrostatic energy of a system can be negative. This indicates that the system has reached a state of maximum stability, as the charges are positioned in a way that minimizes their potential energy. However, it is important to note that the overall energy of the system cannot be negative, as this would violate the law of conservation of energy.